Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Castle Armory Room [UE4]

jth852
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
jth852 polycounter lvl 2
A scene I built for practice, a small armory room in a castle.

First project creating a full scene in Unreal Engine.  I created all all the models in maya and zbrush, and textured them with xNormal, substance and photoshop.  In total the scene is about 60,000 triangles.  Any feedback would be awesome, I'm trying to get a job in the video game industry making 3D art.

Replies

• EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, I like the scene, but there are some improvements that can be made. Some of the objects are very shiny and that is disrupting the scene. Some lights are a bit too bright. I would tone them down. Don't be afraid to play around with colours, a blue tone will always go great with an orange heavy scene.

I'm not the biggest fan of the floor texture, it is hard to point to what I don't like about it, but I think it is a bit too big in scale. Make the floor smaller or change the texture and I think it could improve a bit, but don't take my word for it.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    What purpose does the middle balcony serve? You can't get to it, it just seems inconvenient. The copy/pasted models also make the repetition extremely obvious. Do you have a reflection capture inside the room? Because the reflections seem like they can see a skybox outside instead of the room itself.
  • jth852
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, I had been checking the post on my phone and I didn't see any comments or anything, or I would've posted back sooner.  I am still trying to solve the problem of the middle balcony/platform.  Getting rid of the middle one could be the solution I need. I added a cubemap to fix the reflection problem, it just reflecting the skybox (still learning building a scene in UE4).  I still want to to play with the lighting a bit, and fix up a couple of the textures a little more ( like looking at the scale of the floor) but here are the new versions.

• LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    Have you got any reference or anything? is this a fantasy castle because it looks very culture mixed, The balcony seems very random as well like why is it there? what's the purpose the builders decided we'll have this area of the room raised, I'd suggest give it a reason to be there like a room feature

Here are some quick things i noticed, the rocks are quite obviously he same rock I missed one to the lower left, try rotating them around so it's not as obvious, and the pillar type thing could do with being rotated as they have the same texture on both

Hope this helps keep it up
  • jth852
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    @LVG Thanks for the helpful layout crit, putting a room feature could help the scene come together and make sense of the layout better. I mainly made it as just a practice piece, becuase I'd never used UE4 or attempted to make a level for a video game, so I didn't give enough time to getting reference.  I was trying to learn more technical skills in zBrush and Substance and such, but my next project I'm collecting a hoard of good images to prevent that problem.  As for the piles thanks for pointing that repetition out I will have to fix that too, I'm making a new debris pile asset to use instead of those rocks for sure.
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    I think you could make the lighting be a bit more interesting, I like the blue suggestion, maybe on the fire on the hottest part. A color pallets would really help this scene out. It's been my experience that lighting can make or break a project. Have you heard of LUTs? They are easy to use and just look them up on the unreal docs and YouTube. When building scenes it is a good idea to have 6 or so different lighting variations while developing the scene. With that being said, I noticed the problem of the shiny metal objects by Elias Wick, but I think you took the shinny down too much. When entering the game industry it is a good idea to know or a least have a favorite game company and to choose to do fan art of something similar to their games, but This scene is nice, keep up the hard work. 
  • jth852
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah lighting is definitely the weakest part in my opinion.  I'm currently looking at some unreal tutorials on the subject so hopefully I can improve on it soon.  I have not heard of LUTs, I'll have to check that out too.  Thanks for the helpful info!