Home Adobe Substance

Naturally looking cracks in SD?

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
Does anybody knows any fresh approach to do nice naturally looking cracks ?   What I saw so far was mostly variations of  Cells noises.    Imo they are not doing any real looking cracks and instantly recognizable as artificial.  
    I understand that a true crack generation could be a super complicated task involving  physics calculation , tension zones etc.   But perhaps  some fresh idea of how to make those cells less similar to each other could do the trick.  

Replies

• Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    Cracks will differ from material type to material type, so whatever look you want to go for depends on that. Maybe you could post some reference of the effect you want to achieve?

Anyway, using cells is, okey-ish, I like to use them for narrow cracks, for larger ones I like to use the old distance node + edge detect trick.

In all cases I always blend multiple crack versions, i.e. if I use cells I will use levels to create some cracks that are very thin, some that are thick, some that have a slight bevel etc, and then blend those together using a blend node set to copy, with a noise plugged in as mask.
    Blending a noise over your cracks using a minimal screen blend can also help a lot, as it breaks up the constant depth a bit.

For me key in making cracks feel natural is using a slight directional warp with whatever surface they are digging into as input, i.e. bricks, this will at least "ground" them more in the texture. This doesn't quite apply for very flat surfaces.
    After that I also like to warp them using a noise, I quite like the result of clouds 2, if you warp it with say, 20 intensity, that breaks up the obvious lines and suggest more natural caused damage. The intensity of this one will of course depend on the material and damage.

After that a slope blur can do wonders, cloud noises can help you created layer effects in those, BnW spots more roughed up edges, perlin zoom hard chips, just experiment with different setups.

If you use slope blur I'd also recommend you blend the blurred version over a clean one with a noise as mask, otherwise it gets way too uniform.

I'd paste some sample setup pictures in here but I don't have access to my workstation at the moment, sorry.
    Hope some of these ideas will help!
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks a lot for your input .  I  totally agree with everything you mentioned. It all helps to make  cracks looking more variable and natural  on middle and micro detailing level , still the initial  macro crack distribution always has  pretty recognizable artificial "cell" structure on my side.  

I  did tried to use distance node with sampler input  but it always make pretty much same cells  with same recognizable corners, not much different   from Cell itself.    So I still have no idea how to do something having  certain dominant crack direction,  crack branching  etc

For example something like this       

Notice how the asphalt "cells "  have some pretty specific order  around initial straight crack, not just totally random  and more or less squarish,rectangular shape  .    

In a word I don't see Distance node making any more structured cells .   

Years ago I managed to do nice cracks with Algorithmic  "Map  zone " since it allowed to manually recompose noise clusters  but now it's not that easy. 

Somethimes , very rarely   it turns right in SD  suddenly  but it's non stop dice throwing . Next variants are never real.

And another problem is how to do subtle slant(depth gradient) withing those asphalt "cells"   

• Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    Ah I see your point now, yea I agree getting rid of that cell like structure is very tough, I don't quite have any golden tips for that one. I tend to multiply a perlin noise over the cells node and then run it trough a level, this way you lose some of the thinner cracks making it feel less like have multiple cells.

Crack branching would very hard to achieve on some surfaces, in the one you show above you could create the initial crack and place two cell generate cracks on either side, like two loose plates, but that is of course far from ideal, let alone a solution.
    For the rectangular shapes you can of course scale them in a transform or warp them upwards, you'll quite rapidly achieve that effect.

For the slant I assume you mean that some of those plates are slightly skewed? In that case you could actually try and somehow make the distance node work for yourself, you could use a tile sampler with a gradient as input and lay those over the cells you get from it.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks Kyetja  for you suggestions .   Your warp advise really works for the purpose of reshaping cells  into something more natural.   Not just for zigzagging  them.   Especially with new 32 bit mode.  Makes things more controllable somehow.