Home Technical Talk

What's the current best tree leaf/ branch workflow?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Glacierfox polycounter lvl 8
Hi there, I'm having a bit of trouble with some trees I'm creating for Unreal 4. Just to summarise to clear a few things up;

- I've hand sculpted the tree trunks using Zbrush.
- I'm not using Speed Tree. My game has a particular aesthetic style. It's also small in scope.

Thing is, I'm actually quite a seasoned modeller but I've never done foliage before. I've scoured the internet for a couple of days and I can't seem to pinpoint what I'm looking for.

Essentially, I'm trying to bake a high poly branch with leaves down to a plane for use on my tree. I understand the principles of baking normals and such but I can't find a decent tutorial that describes how to get all of my required maps in detail. I'm using Maya, and I've read I need to set up an orthographic viewport to project the branch onto a plane or something? 

I'm wondering if the output diffuse is simply just Maya render from the viewport?  

Not sure how to get my normals either? Is it simply a case of projecting using a planar cage in XNormal or something? Surely I'd have to make my branch a certain way for that work?

I can just paint the maps in photoshop but it looks terrible and my photo references never seem to come out good and look flat. 

I've looked over the tutorials on polycount and they seem to give me a good look at an end result but no detail on how the actual maps were created.

Replies