Home Technical Talk

Where to start with 3D modeling

Filip5
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, lets take this quick.

Stalking other modelers here on polycount and their awesome work, I found out that my creations are not half as good as theirs. Now there may be few reasons I am familiar with, but I often find myself stuck, not liking what I did, eventually deleting the whole scene.  What is the best web, site, videos, excercies ? Anything that could set me on the right track. I still struggle with shapes in Max. And I use substance painter for texturing, but in the end I usually delete the model. I post few pictures below, so you get the idea of my modeling. Hopefully you'll be able to say something like " you need to get better at texturing, or modeling and here's something that could help you". I am trying to keep number of polys as low as possible and I am also aware of lowpoly and highpoly, simply to say. I know the process. It just looks so bad at my end every time. 

Replies

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    You need to get better at modeling, texturing ( and presentation ), and here's something that can help you 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgBikgcWnY

I think there is not big secret, it's really just exercice and exercice, don't try to be good at multiple thing at once, maybe focus on modeling hard surface shape for like a month ,everyday try to make a new assets, don't try to push em too far. At the end you'll be faster and you'll find way to do stuff, like in every other discipline.

gl mate !
  • VickiVampiress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VickiVampiress polycounter lvl 3
    One thing I find very helpful is to have someone who you can go to with any questions. I honestly hate asking for help. It makes me feel dependent and weak, even though I know that's nonsense, because you're just sharing and exchanging knowledge! It's also really important to finish what you start.

Don't be like me until recently, where you start so many things, and never finish one of them. It, among other things in life has created a very destructive habit of me of not finishing things, giving up, or not believing in myself. I'm slowly "repairing" myself from the damage that's been done.

For me, what's most important to keep myself from breaking apart is the following:

1. Be willing to ask for and accept help.
    2. Don't overthink the things you're doing. Breathe and focus, let everything come one by one.
    3. Plan the things you start, and finish them.
    4. Don't try to move too fast too early. Rome wasn't built in one day, and neither should your models or your knowledge of them.

Obviously this may not apply to you, and I realize I'm not particularly helpful, mainly because I'm a fresh novice myself, but I hope you find your way. It can be really challenging, especially in a bad position in life (like I am).

You can do it though. Keep asking, keep reading, and don't give up. Communicate with people!