Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Glock 18 Critique

vzdragon
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
vzdragon polycounter lvl 6
Decided to give this a shot and model a gun. Its a bit too square still and i accidentally left symmetry on and the ejector port ended up on both sides.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    You're on the right path but you need to follow your references more closely. There are a lot of proportion errors that it doesn't resemble the Glock 18 silhouette. I highly suggest redoing these areas.

Also, if you haven't decided already, if this is your high poly model it needs a lot more detail.  It sounds tedious at first but it's very important to include as much accuracy in every part of the model as possible. Otherwise, it means having to go back and constantly revise each section which just slows you down from moving on to the next step (proper texturing and lighting).

• vzdragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vzdragon polycounter lvl 6
    JordanN said:
    You're on the right path but you need to follow your references more closely. There are a lot of proportion errors that it doesn't resemble the Glock 18 silhouette. I highly suggest redoing these areas.

Also, if you haven't decided already, if this is your high poly model it needs a lot more detail.  It sounds tedious at first but it's very important to include as much accuracy in every part of the model as possible. Otherwise, it means having to go back and constantly revise each section which just slows you down from moving on to the next step (proper texturing and lighting).

thank you :) will take this into account for my next model. Have any recommended videos for gun modeling?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    vzdragon said:
    thank you :) will take this into account for my next model. Have any recommended videos for gun modeling?

Edit: This one is not a handgun tutorial, but the principles are mostly the same. I didn't like some glock tutorials I found because they were only using one reference. This video will teach you how to use multiple references for anytime you model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tgy0lBdJK0&index=1&list=PL925958D31D8D30C7