Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] A Bull Warrior Character

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Nika polycounter lvl 4
Hi Polycount!

I'm working on a character. My goal is to create an ancient beast warrior. Powerful but good-natured.

I just finished the high poly and would love to hear some critique before moving on to retopology.
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• S@murai
    Offline / Send Message
    S@murai polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, that's one good character! Can't wait for texturing. One thing you could fix is the micro detail on nose. Pores are too deep on the tip of the nose imo.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    coming along nicely
  • Nika
    Offline / Send Message
    Nika polycounter lvl 4
    I got more feedback and made some changes:
    -bigger pores on the nose
    -added cleaner detail on the shoulder pad
    -adjusted the scale of the head and hands
    -changed the legs to make the  silhouette more interesting

Thanks everyone for help :)

• S@murai
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, I really like the changes. Now he's got much more character. Also, new lighting makes it read better.
    From the top to the bottom:

1) I don't see how he's shoulder pad is mounted on the back side. It has this metal piece on the front side but it's missing on the back.
    You could push the detailing on this metal clip because right now it looks like a Blender monkey with horns.

2) The belt. I rally like the buckle but I don't buy this square details. Details on them are pretty random and low res.  Maybe you could clean the details and later project something like that in the texturing phase?
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a4/ce/86/a4ce86b4467f4868f9247e6ff527f0d7.jpg) 

3) The strap holding the sword is looking unnatural. It's loose rather than showing the weight of the sword. Bend near the metal button on the belt is also a bit off. In my opinion, leather isn't as flexible to allow for such stretching in that area. Instead, you could make the strap fold on top of the button.

4) Legs look pretty bad ass right now. My only problem with them is that the detail seems blurry in comparison to the previous iteration.

Overall awesome progress! This thread needs more attention :)

• Nika
    Offline / Send Message
    Nika polycounter lvl 4
    I agree with all the points. I'll work on the detail while texturing. And I need to fix that strap for sure.

I just textured the head for now.

• S@murai
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Keep going :) 
  • Nika
    Offline / Send Message
    Nika polycounter lvl 4
    I'm back. I've been working on the textures. I forgot to say before but this is my final uni project. I'm going to need to finish it up pretty soon ^^

• S@murai
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the colors and details but resolution could be higher. His feet could be a little bit shinier. Also, slight gradient from the tip to the end of a foot would look really nice in my opinion. I love how fluffy the tail is, but from a 3/4 view, I can see the inner hard mesh.
    If you made arms texture independent you could break the symmetry adding some bigger bulgy veins on them.
    You should also add some small fur to his legs.

Overall a really like the progress :)
  • kreativbloc
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3
    Textures are looking on point. The thighs are a bit long i would say, also the hooves could do with dirt.