Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Victorian Classroom

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Whalebones polycounter lvl 11
Current State:

Hey everybody,

Here's the start of a Victorian Classroom scene I'm working on. Any C&C's are greatly appreciated!

Primarily I'm looking for any pointers on layout and lighting, so if anyone has some insight into either of these things you'll be on Christmas card list for sure!

Cheers!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey dude! It's a little hard to critique as the camera is pretty far away from everything, Half the room feels really empty. The desks are all jumbled about which tells me something happened here, but there is nothing else to wet my taste buds so as I can make more guesses. What's the story of this room? I think you should put something else in there to give more hints as to the mess. I can't give any tips on the lighting though as I don't know anything like what time of day it is, what season, etc.
  • Whalebones
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis Hey dude!

Cheers for the reply, much appreciated! I guess asking for critique currently is a bit difficult, the shots you can see here are just an aerial view of the scene as is, in UE4 and the other is just a load of assets in Max currently. I'll get a better shot sorted out shortly as to kind of get a better feel for the actual final shot of the scene, especially as there is already some new assets in the scene =]

As for why the desks are all over the place, I'm just going with it's an old school, just a lot of time has passed people have explored it and messed with it, once i get more focal assets in the scene it should hopefully come together! Thank you for the feedback though! 
  • Whalebones
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!

I'm going to be adding beams across the ceiling shortly, just to break up the white space. Also I've added dust particles, though it's not portrayed very well in this shot, I'll see if I can get a better shot soon. A couple other things on the list will be cob webs, cabinets and book shelves too.

Any critique and comments are greatly appreciated as always!
  • Whalebones
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!

I've added a fair few new props into the mix and working on camera placement for final shots so i can sort out what I want in the final renders.

Changes:

-Added cobwebs
    -Improved lighting set up
    -Added fog for a hazey effect
    -Added cabinets and a piano

I think there may be some issues with empty space still and if any one agrees and has some ideas for what to add by all means mention them. I think maybe there needs to be more stuff on the walls...

Also I'm thinking about changing the ceiling texture, the white space is a bit out of place though not sure how to alter it.

Any critique and comments are greatly appreciated as always!

• Whalebones
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again! It's update time!

I've updated some textures added more detail assets and been playing with lighting.

I've been playing with 4.16 for a little while now and I'm very impressed with it's volumetric lighting. Though I have an issue where i got these shimmer/glitter lines, does anyone have any ideas for why this is?

As always guys, critique and comments are more than welcome!

Cheers!