Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Witchcraft Vending Machine (Critique Needed)

Aikei
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Aikei polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, 

I'm working on a sentient vending machine that provides witchcraft supplies. The problem I'm having with the design right now is that I'm not sure that it really reads as a vending machine, or is too vague of a design...

The kind of look I'll be going for:

I'm focusing on the overall design right now, but the machine will be ornate and have motifs throughout. It will have alligator feet as well.
There is a coinslot at the bottom (which I hope will help it read as a vending machine) and paper/coin money insert slots with a dial at the top to pick items with. There will be labels with prices on the shelves inside as well.

Side-note, the items inside are partly placeholders from an older project, I'm mostly focusing on overall vending machine design.
Maybe I've been staring at this for too long... Any suggestions on pushing the design? Or making it read more as a vending machine vs. a strange piece of furniture?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Have to first ask what time period you're shooting for. This looks werstern so I'll tailor my critique to that.

Doing a quick google search, vending machines have some asymmetry on them where the post on the right side of the glass is larger than the left. This allows the coin slot and the number pad to be larger and read better. The slot on the bottom may benefit from being removed so it reads more like a exit for purchased eats. You could continue to make it brass or at least have some ornate engravings on it that read "enjoy". Vending machines also have advertising on them. If not brand-specific, you could include more generic text. I know a lot of western-style art includes gold leafing with the wood so that may be how I'd advertise?

Overall I'd focus on the primary things that allow a vending machine to function and make them more pronounced; larger scale (even exaggerated may help), a different material, or something that illustrates how the machine in interacted with.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Aikei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aikei polycounter lvl 5
    I think the prices will add a lot to understanding this.
    That's what I'm hoping. I may just need to go ahead and add more elements I was putting off making.

Have to first ask what time period you're shooting for. This looks werstern so I'll tailor my critique to that.

Doing a quick google search, vending machines have some asymmetry on them where the post on the right side of the glass is larger than the left. This allows the coin slot and the number pad to be larger and read better. The slot on the bottom may benefit from being removed so it reads more like a exit for purchased eats. You could continue to make it brass or at least have some ornate engravings on it that read "enjoy". Vending machines also have advertising on them. If not brand-specific, you could include more generic text. I know a lot of western-style art includes gold leafing with the wood so that may be how I'd advertise?

Overall I'd focus on the primary things that allow a vending machine to function and make them more pronounced; larger scale (even exaggerated may help), a different material, or something that illustrates how the machine in interacted with.
    I was a bit wary of having asymmetry because of the eye that's centered at the top, thought it would look weird. I'll give it a shot, though. I'm not so sure about removing the slot flap (if that's what you mean). Maybe I'm thinking too much of the machine being realistic in terms of preventing people from sticking their hands in and stealing things?

Advertising sounds interesting, I'll try it out. I may just need to go and create some basic labels to help it read as a vending machine.

Thanks for the critiques!