Home General Discussion

You can sell guns in CG Trader/Turbosquid.. right?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
fdfxd2 interpolator
Yes I know, obviously you can sell your own made-up Sci-Fi guns on CG Trader

but what about the ones made by corporations like Steyr, is that okay?
Basically I'm asking if I can  sell a game ready recreation of a Steyr Aug or a FN scar,etc legally.

Does it vary from country to country/Company to company?

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    is that okay?

I think you already know the answer to the question - the fact that some people do it and get away with it doesn't mean that it is legal - even if a manufacturer doesn't press charges against a big publisher/studio when they do it.

If you don't have the license to use an existing design (whether it is a pop culture character, a car, or a weapon) then you don't have the right to make money out of it, plain and simple. Of course there is always a fine line between legality and what happens in practice on a case by case basis, but that's irrelevant.

In short : not okay.
  • EarthQuake
    As far as legality goes, as you are not the copyright holder of those brands and designs, you are not entitled to reproduce them. However, it is up to the company in question to enforce their copyright, which is to say tell you to stop doing it, generally with a cease and desist order, and if that doesn't work they can take you to court.

You're not going to get thrown in jail for doing this, but you risk legal problems if you do it. You may have further legal liabilities if say, you produce content that is protected under copyright, sell it to a 3rd party, and then lose a lawsuit over it. Will you be responsible for anything wrt the third party?

Now, these sites are full of this sort of content, so the likelihood of anyone coming after you is quite slim. However, there was a fairly high profile case recently where B&W or Audi or one of those companies went after Turbosquid for allowing such material on their marketplace. So, even if it is not currently a problem, it may be a problem some point in the future.

Honestly, I would focus on original designs anyway. No legal issues, plus you're not competing with 300 other Steyr Aug models.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    oh well
    that's a shame

Okay new question
    I'm still gonna go ahead and make the rifle and use that in my portfolio as a portfolio piece(not gonna sell it though)

is that okay?
  • EarthQuake
    fdfxd2 said:
    oh well
    that's a shame

Okay new question
    I'm still gonna go ahead and make the rifle and use that in my portfolio as a portfolio piece(not gonna sell it though)

is that okay?
    Yeah this is 99.99999% fine, they would be within their rights to tell you to take it off your portfolio, but seeing as you're not selling it this is extremely unlikely to happen.

Typically the way this sort of thing goes is that companies are interested in other companies doing stuff. Not so much individuals, unless you're doing something exceptional like making a boatload of money or using the content in some way that is offensive to the brand.
  • ArNavart
    Offline / Send Message
    ArNavart polycounter lvl 2
    I guess here good, old Kalashnikov(AK) might be an exception.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    ArNavart said:
    Yeah
    I've seen dozens of those for sale on there

probably because the AK 47 is so so common
  • ArNavart
    Offline / Send Message
    ArNavart polycounter lvl 2
    Also they take a great pride in their weapons, and at most would feel flattered :D
  • throttlekitty
    fdfxd2 said:
    ArNavart said:
    Yeah
    I've seen dozens of those for sale on there

probably because the AK 47 is so so common
    Hey, wanna be my lawyer, you've got this down pat now!
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    http://www.protectingdesigns.com/bmw-group-files-suit-against-turbosquid

In most cases on Turbosquid, if you include the actual logo, may force you to list the model as editorial/news use only. Which won't stop the end user using the model in anyway they want to, but it covers their asses.

Logos tend to be a bit of a tricky point more so than the actual design features. Though this BMW suit may change that as they are going after the designs.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah the safest rout is making your own stuff by far and importantly remembering to slap a copyright on it pronto before uploading as a polished portfolio asset, otherwise risk some egg-head ripping a copy. Although here's a happy thought you could always cut 'em off a the knees bleeding them dry with royalty kick-backs but an expensive exercise tho going after the filthy sods  :)