Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: How to add/edit hair maps in DDO

aaeriam
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
aaeriam polycounter lvl 3
Hi all,

I've been looking at different tutorials for how to make realistic hair for games and I've run into a snag. The tutorials I've come across don't have an answer for me. A lot of the tutorials I have come across are for maya and marmoset toolbag 2.

TL;DR I laid out hair cards in zbrush, UV'd them in Blender, and tried bringing them into DDO to apply maps to; however, I tried applying an alpha last night and the black in the background shows up in the model.

I'm not sure what types of maps I should add for the hair or how to properly set them up so that the black backgrounds of the hair images don't appear on the model itself. Any tips, help, or links to other tutorials would be really appreciated. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this whole hair process. 

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Use DDO's menu to add a new map called Opacity. Paint white where you want hair to show, paint black where you don't. Click the hair mesh and set it to render transparent in 3DO. That's really all you have to do. :)
  • aaeriam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaeriam polycounter lvl 3
    This is perfect, thank you so much for the tip! For anyone else running into the same problem, here's a step by step breakdown after your model is in DDO

> Load up 3DO with your hair selected (make sure you click on the actual hair object in the 3DO viewer
    > A small window on the top right comes up and lets you change the rendering mode.