Home Adobe Substance

Realistic "dirty" glass in UE4 with Substance- is it possible?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Michael_Ingrassia polycounter lvl 5
We have some realistic props in production and so far our glass R&D in Substance has been an epic failure. Any thoughts, UE4 shaders, advice on achieving great realistic results like this example would be mucho appreciated!!

*PS: If you are a freelance texture artist working in Substance painter and Marmoset, ping me PM to discuss some freelance work we have available.

Replies

• YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    What is the result you have now? That way we can see what might be the problem.

I've done a project for Nike a few years ago for which we had create glass in Unity before the pbr thing was a hit. We used techniques Similar to the ones in this article by Marmoset: https://www.marmoset.co/posts/tutorial-create-convincing-glass/

Main thing that we felt made the difference was the highlight. Most common shaders subtract the alpha from the specular while the specular should be rendered on top. I've not done much with transparent shaders ever since so I can't give you a working sample you could hack open. Hope this came of help.