Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stylised Tavern Scene

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Buchananball polycounter lvl 6
Most up to date picture:

Hi there polycount! These are some WIPs of a tavern scene I'm currently working on while following the Tobias Koepp tutorial. Currently lowpoly with normals baked, in marmoset but moving to UE4 soon. To do list involves TLC'ing the floor edge to sell it more as a diorama, finishing up some final assets (thus the light sources without models at the moment!) and then getting onto to texturing. 

I would love any feedback or critique, please fire away!

Replies

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This looks really lovely. Not an environment artist, but looks nice to my untrained eye :)
  • Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elithenia Thank you very much! If you have any crit, please don't hesitate! 

Here are highpolys for the scene including the main tileables, most are in the scene but some are new and still in the pipeline, like the fireplace.

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Solid blockout and normal maps, looks like a kitbash set to play around with. Since I assume it's what the tutorial is after then awesome! Though I do wonder if the normals will be a bit much after albedo is done.
  • gastrop0d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gastrop0d polycounter lvl 5
    The difference in scale of the wood grains between objects is creating an inconsistency in the scene. For instance the grain on the benchtop is huge compared to the mugs or the floor, like its simply a floor plank that's been scaled-up in the engine.

More wear on the bench could help differentiate it too and contribute some story telling. Continual use of the surface might diminish the depth of the grains, for instance.

The bottom-left section of blocks in your wall piece line up to create a cross in the cracks. I think it's very distracting - maybe adjust the width of the bottom-leftmost block to break it up.
  • TOBSn08
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TOBSn08 polycounter lvl 7
    Cool that you are making your own environment with this. I agree the large wood looks a bit out of place compared to the others. I think you can also improve the silhouette of the whole piece by not cutting the back wall off as flat as you did in your screenshots. Maybe have some beams or walls go beyond that so it is a little more interesting to look at. 
  • Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the delay on replying, I took some freelance video edit work to do in my spare time which took waaaay longer than expected, but I'm back with more art! I've made all the sculpt changes suggested as well as finishing off the last few asset sculpts.

@FreneticPonies  Thanks man! The tutorial result is a dungeon scene, but I want this for my portfolio so doing my own scene so it is appropriate.

@gastrop0d Thanks for the crit! I've re-sculpted the wood grain on the two bar units to match it better to the rest of the scene and tweaked the wall stone tile to remove the cross. 

@TOBSn08 Aha this is cool, thanks for the awesome tutorial man! As I've said above I've re-sculpted the inconsistent wood, and I'll be moving scene into UE4 soon so I'll improve the silhouette there. 

My next goal is to move all the UV's onto several texture sheets, and rebake the assets to match this. Does anyone have some recommendations on texture budgets? I'm not sure what to limit myself to for the scene. And please if anyone has any more crit, keep it coming! 

• Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ended up working on the silhouette of the scene while assets slowly baked! I'm happy with the floor seam and have added wooden framework coming off the side wall, although I'm feeling the low angle of the camera hides most of it. Yay or nay? I'm not really sure where to take it from here. New silhouette below!

• Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got all my assets now spread over several 2k sheets, currently finished my tileables (512 size) and now texturing assets while getting my grips with 3dcoat!

• Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bringing this thread back from the dead a bit! Just finished all my textures and a lighting pass. I still have some little tasks to do and fixes, but otherwise this project is coming to a close! Please if you have any crit, fire away! Concept for the crossbow was done by Becca Hallstedt, you can find her work here: https://www.artstation.com/artist/beccahallstedt 

• Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New round of lighting, aiming for much softer warmer outcome. Looking at calling this done and knocking out some breakdowns soon!