Home Technical Talk

Any advantages of animating in UE4 over 3D Modelling application?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
Greetings!

I could easily animate a door opening and closing in Unreal Engine 4. Is there any advantages of doing it in your 3D modelling application, (3Ds Max for example)? I really can't think of any reason not to animate the door UE4?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Personally, I would just do these kinds of simple animations directly within a blueprint. Animating a door rig externally is just going to end up in a blueprint anyway so it's just an extra, unnecessary step, for me.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Personally, I would just do these kinds of simple animations directly within a blueprint. Animating a door rig externally is just going to end up in a blueprint anyway so it's just an extra, unnecessary step, for me.
    Yeah... True. One reason that could think of, is maybe if you have like a more complex door with many moving pieces and complex movement. In that case, youd highly reduce the amount of individual components needed in your blueprint by using a pre-combined and animated mesh. Probably its also easier to animate and handle it with bones then. But even than, you could just import it as a skeletal one and animate inside persona...

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @obscura yes, definitely. If it were complex chain of events, something like a scifi blast/pressure door with spinning wheels/gears, sliding bars, and the like, I would probably set it up in Max first.