Home Adobe Substance

[Substance Painter] Export from 3DS max

KurtR
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
KurtR polycounter lvl 7
Testing out SP, but ran into an issue. Exporting one single object with the proper high/low-suffices works fine. Though when I have two separate pieces, two low poly objects with corresponding two high poly objects, with every individual object named with the _high and _low, only one of the two pieces get the bake.

How my files are organized:
- High poly object named: canon_barrel_high
- Low poly object named: canon_barrel_low
- High poly object named: canon_ring_high
- low poly object named: canon_ring_low

When I export I just grab both high poly objects and call them: ship_high, then I grab the two low poly items and call them: ship_low

Replies

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    are the materials the same on both of the hp/lp pieces? 
  • KurtR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    Currently the same on the LP objects, but set up a multisub on HP objects for IDs. I actually just added and tested another third piece in the mix, and it seems I might only have an issue with the barrel object. It might be something I am doing wrong with the hard/soft edges on that object only. Going to do a couple of more tests and see what I figure out.

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Just make sure to uncheck "Turbosmooth" on your FBX export setting for the HP object cus it got me last time into believing that by checking "Turbosmooth" means "export with Turbosmooth applied" but apparently it means export the modifier together, if your target app (in this case Substance Painter) didn't support modifier, then it wont included when you import the HP mesh to the SP.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving to the Allegorithmic section.
  • KurtR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    Revel said:
    Just make sure to uncheck "Turbosmooth" on your FBX export setting for the HP object cus it got me last time into believing that by checking "Turbosmooth" means "export with Turbosmooth applied" but apparently it means export the modifier together, if your target app (in this case Substance Painter) didn't support modifier, then it wont included when you import the HP mesh to the SP.
    Ahh, I see. Thanks, man. I ended up going for .OBJs, but that's helpful to be aware of.