Home Unreal Engine

Nordic Dancer UDK Handpainted 3D Project

Hi!

This is one of my works for my portfolio. I have many things to update in the scene (especially the textures) but to keep things related to the Unreal Engine I have some issues and questions for my character for instance.

Despite checking two-sided geometry under the headline Collision in the asset manager for the assets, some planes on the assets remain one-sided and transparent. I used the same approach for the foliage and had no issues so far.

Also I have been wondering what kind of Unreal shader setup that would be the best for a hanpainted project? My solution to remove the "plastic" look has been to give all the materials a constant in the roughness channel.

Then there is the backdrop of the scene that would catch shadow all the time before. I solved it by putting the albedo/diffuse in the emissive channel. But I wonder if there is some other efficient way to solve this.
(Not really relevant but: the backdrop won't be a photo later, it will be a paintover and the lighting in the scene will be evening in the end. )

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Try using Masked instead of translucent. Translucency can cause sorting issues, which might be happening, maybe not. Could you post your material for this?

To get rid of the plastic look, set your specular to 0.

For the backdrop, which shouldn't have shadows (as I understand it), you want to use the Unlit Shading Model. This way only accepts  emissive, not base color, but will not act like an emissive material.