Home Technical Talk

Managing Scale between Zbrush and Max

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ryebot polycounter lvl 5
I'm modeling a character in 3DS Max, but I did the block out for the character in Zbrush. The character scale is a bit too small for max, so I want to scale it up, but also be able to return it to it's original scale easily (for detail work in zbrush).

I exported the parts from Zbrush as OBJs (with scale set to 1.0… though the export scale slider was set to some seemingly random value before. I've never understood where zbrush gets this number, or why it isn't always just set to 1 by default).

The problem is once I scale something up in Max, even using the scale dialogue, the values reset after each transformation.

What's the best way to handle this? Should I just pick one scale and use it between the two the two packages? 

Replies

• phbillones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phbillones polycounter lvl 4
    I'm currently just setting zbrush export scale slider to 12. Using Maya 2017, OBJs to export. it has relatively decent size in Maya viewport and when I reimport in back to ZBrush either fbx, obj or ma it maintains its scale. this works for my workflow dunno in Max however, just my two cents on the matter.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Set a transparent cube in Max at the size you want the model.
    Play with the export settings in ZBrush till it is as close as you can get.
    Use that model in Max for your modelling work.
    Use that model in ZBrush for your modelling work.
    To bake textures your high poly model will match your low poly perfectly.
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    As long as I re-import the model back into the subtool I'm working in (the one I exported the original from) Zbrush will keep the scale consistent?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @ryebot If You are GoZing a model back to ZBrush that came from a ZBrush tool, then you can import it straight into the the subtool it came from. If it is a new model/subtool, use the GoZ button in 3DSMax and send that model/tool to ZBrush. It wont open in the tool you want it to because it has no file history with that tool. Then open the tool you want to import the external tool into, and use the append button in the subtool palet, and choose the imported tool from the sub palet. The imported tool will appear in the list, in the right position and at the correct scale.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I always recommend it on these threads. The Styx bridge plugin is an absolute godsend between Max/Maya/ZB. It's only $5 and completely eradicates all the arsing about with scale between packages. Click in and out. Perfect scale every time. It essentially makes working between packages a single seamless environment.
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    I actually don't use goz, I have max and maya installed and goz will always send it to max, and I can't figure out how to get it to give me a choice of which one to send it to, but have never bothered to dig deeper because obj's work easily enough.

this styx plugin looks pretty great!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @musashidan that sounds interesting.
    @ryebot to activate/install GoZ for different applications go to the preferences/CoZ. You can change the application you expot to by clicking on the 'R' button in the tool menu like below, brings up a choice dialog: number 2.

Cheerio
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "[...] so I want to scale it up, but also be able to return it to it's original scale easily (for detail work in zbrush)."

Simply don't do that. You can of course start your blockout in any program you fancy, but you need to make sure very early on that your master/reference scene is build properly and at the proper scale in Max (or any regular 3d program you are using to author the model with).

I've ran into the issue of people starting their model in Zbrush with no regards to proper scaling multiple times and it is always a nightmare at some point down the line. Take the 5 minutes necessary to setup a clean max scene and from there everything will remain at the proper scale in all apps (Zbrush, Toolbag, and so on). There is no reason to not adopt clean production practices. Once this is done there will be no need to mess around with esoteric Zbrush sliders as everything will work as intended.
  • brunocerkvenik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brunocerkvenik polycounter lvl 3