Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2015: Viewport Resolution low

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
FireBat12 vertex
I am trying to start a new project, A Lamborghini to be more precise. However, I'm stuck at the very start because the viewport resolution is making my blueprints pixelated and unusable. I have the I have tried many things but there has been almost no change. My viewport configuration>Display settings are.

Baked procedural maps-1024 Pixels
Texture maps-2048 Pixels
Viewport background/envirornment-2048 Pixels

The driver I am using is
Nitrous Direct 3d 11

I have even tried to lower the display settings to:
Baked procedural maps-512 Pixels
Texture maps-512 Pixels
Viewport background/envirornment-512 Pixels

Just to see if something would change but there was no difference.
I have changed the driver to legacy direct 3d and changed the settings to

Background texture size to 1024, checked the "match bitmap size as close as possible" box on
Download texture size to 512, checked the "match bitmap size as close as possible" box on

texel lookup: Linear
mipmap lookup: Linear

So far nothing has worked. I have been using 3ds max 2015, however, I am installing 2017 now in hopes that it fixes the problem. Does anyone have any advice if this does not work?

Replies

• Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    I just set the resolution to 4096 across the board - are you using a viewport background image or textured planes? I find planes with the ref image applied as a texture look crisper than viewport backgrounds, and Max 2015 is lacking the lock zoom/pan feature previous Max versions had so you can't even use it as a proper guide any more as the image's position relation to the model changes whenever you pan/zoom.

this is the preferred method to use ATM, IMO.
  • FireBat12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FireBat12 vertex
    I Managed to figure it out, thanks!