Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Practicing

vertex
I'm a beginner but I thought I'd post some of the practicing I've done instead of clogging the wip thread with my stuff.
My main interests are anime.

Anyway here's what I've done today  [prepare for bad quality]

my first face. The ears are misplaced terribly.

I'm going to do other models like realism to get those fundamentals in and hopefully implement it on my animoos in the future.
But I think I have a long way to go before I can touch anime properly.

One last thing, I made a wip thread on my sculpting a while back but it turned out horribly (mainly because of no edgeloops during rigging) along with other things. But I guess that counts as a learning experience somewhat.

Replies

• Nominous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nominous polycounter lvl 10
    I think you're off to a good start since you're matching the front and side views well. I'm curious, what 3D modeling and texturing software are you using? Can you post a wireframe? I noticed the top and back of the head are missing. Is there a reason for this or is this just where you left off?

I think some 2D art styles are better suited for 3D than others. For any character model, you want to collect as many reference images as possible from many different angles. I think the more realistic the drawing (in terms of discernible planes), the easier time you'll have converting it to 3D. The problem that I see with anime/manga is that front views aren't always drawn proportionally to other views. Therefore, you might have to use artistic license when modeling things like the head, moreso than with (semi-) realistic concept art.

I was also interested in the process of recreating anime characters in 3D. The Guilty Gear Xrd panel at GDC is an interesting watch and it has a wireframe of one of its characters. It mostly explains the shaders used for its game engine, though. You might want to take a look at 3D games with anime aesthetics and compare the 3D models to their concept art. I haven't done too much research into this subject, but I know there's tons of video games like this that you could research.
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    Karnaj said:
    I think you're off to a good start since you're matching the front and side views well. I'm curious, what 3D modeling and texturing software are you using? Can you post a wireframe? I noticed the top and back of the head are missing. Is there a reason for this or is this just where you left off?

I think some 2D art styles are better suited for 3D than others. For any character model, you want to collect as many reference images as possible from many different angles. I think the more realistic the drawing (in terms of discernible planes), the easier time you'll have converting it to 3D. The problem that I see with anime/manga is that front views aren't always drawn proportionally to other views. Therefore, you might have to use artistic license when modeling things like the head, moreso than with (semi-) realistic concept art.

I was also interested in the process of recreating anime characters in 3D. The Guilty Gear Xrd panel at GDC is an interesting watch and it has a wireframe of one of its characters. It mostly explains the shaders used for its game engine, though. You might want to take a look at 3D games with anime aesthetics and compare the 3D models to their concept art. I haven't done too much research into this subject, but I know there's tons of video games like this that you could research.
    I'm using Blender. As for the texturing, I used vertex paint. And here's the wireframe

the top and back were missing because I didn't model them, I was more focused on the face.

Right now I try to match the front view of the face the most than the side view.

I know some video games like Senran Kagura, Neptunia etc. that have that anime style in their games. I know that Neptunia uses textures for their faces. I haven't looked at Senran Kagura yet.

• goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    WIP
    just going to attempt to make one last anime character before I get into the real stuff.

right now I'm making the clothes, and used the cloth physics to make the folds.
    the face looks alright so far (at least to me) but then again, not so sure until I render it.

I learned about the shrink wrap tool, which is immensely helpful for retepo. Last time I sculpted, I assumed you rigged right after and not have to do proper edge loops because you'll fix the deformation by sculpting. But it didn't work.
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex

I think this looks a bit better than my last attempt. I used textures on the eyelashes this time so they look much better.
    I'll probably devote 70% of my time to anime people and the other percent doing basic fundamentals, since this practice method isn't looking too bad.

also I'm making a mech on the side for the fundamentals part. It's also a thing I'm making for someone.
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    finishing up the head

I think I'll separate the bangs strands a little like I did with the side hair chunks.
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    Sorry, I don't have much this month asides from this and a practice on textures

I need to work on the eyelash mesh and shape on this one

a simple game model practice
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    working on another model after taking a break. this time it'll have hair and clothes.
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    things are going really steady but regardless, it's decent progress I think.
    I used another anime head as reference.

the eyes and especially the eyelashes are difficult to do (but overall, I'm not good at small details).
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex

close to finishing up the hair.
    and also tested the render