Home Technical Talk

Best way to Optimize workflow - 3ds max > Uv's > UE4

Twibbz
null
Offline / Send Message
Twibbz null
Hi Guys i was wondering if i could get some people's best optimized approach on this.

I am currently creating a plethora of models in 3ds max that relate to real world kitchen units with internals and all. 
Large groups of these models will be very very similar the only difference being they will go up in width of increments of 50mm.
I have not yet decided on the best way to approach the texturing of these. Internals and draws/doors can be a different material/tetxure.
I am aiming for photo-realism (or as close as i can) inside UE4.
Having separate  textures/materials and UV's for every 50mm increment seems a little overkill. Is there a way around this or a better way to optimize the UV process?
Thanks, 

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    You can do a triplanar projection with tiling textures. Check out the node called "WorldCoordinate3Way"
  • Twibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twibbz null
    I will take a look 
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Keep in mind that 50mm is a very small difference in size, if you want to be as optimized as you can be, stretching the models wouldn't hurt to much is this situation. But that is just personal preference.

So for example: Create asset > UVW unwrap it > import to UE4 > Calculate the 50mm difference, and scale the asset in the direction that it needs.

If the textures needs to be aligned correctly to the asset, either use WorldCoordinate3Way as Bruno said. Or create a material and instance it and change add a parameter to change the UV tiling.