Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Zbrush to Quixel suite - pipeline best practices advice needed

navcrowds
null
Hey everyone.
I'm curious as to what folk would suggest as a best practice way of getting my models from zbrush to DDO. I do all my block work in Blender and use GoZ to drag out low poly meshes to zbrush. But i'm not sure what the best way of getting from there to DDO is. My current model has a number of subtools and each subtool is divided into polygroups defining areas that will require separate textures in DDO.

Would you suggest I work on each subtool separately in DDO and recompile in Keyshot (thinking of trying out toolbag 2) or should I bite the bullet and merge down all my subtools and bring it into DDO as one big mesh with all the relevant ID's in place ?

Cheers

Crowds

Replies

• Traggey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Traggey polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there Navcrowds, I'm Linus from the Quixel team.

You mentioned using blender as your middle man, what I would do here is move your model from ZBrush into blender and merge it all into at most 3 different pieces.

You will also want to create an ID map determining where your different materials will go.
    This can easily be done by filling your different subtools with unique colours and then baking them onto your lowpoly verision of the mesh via a program like Xnormal.

Now I'm curious about your Zbrush workflow as you don't mention retopologising or UV mapping, now Zbrush models tend to be very up there when it comes to polygon counts, something which the suite isn't going to like.

DDO also applies textures based on your UV map, and the automaticaly generated UVs you'll get out of Zbrush are seldom good enough to texture upon.

• navcrowds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    navcrowds null
    Hi Linus, thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay in responding.
     I have been creating uv's using uv master in zbrush. And my maps via the multimap exporter zplugin.
    How would I go about getting the detail from my high poly mesh into DDO or blender for that matter.. it really doesnt like the high poly count either. I am half way through moving my objects over to blender and its at 4.5 gig already :(

• Traggey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Traggey polycounter lvl 8
    Hey again, I'd suggest you head over to youtube or check out a few online courses about basic high to low poly modeling aswell as normal map baking. This is much too big a subject which I can't personaly cover here as it does not relate to our software speficaly but rather modeling in general.

There are many great resources here on polycount to teach you these things.

After you've done that you can check out the Quixel youtube page, where we have plenty of tutorials covering the basic workflow of our software.

//Linus
  • navcrowds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    navcrowds null
    Thanks linus, i think i'm starting to get my head around it :)