Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] - AR-15 Everyone gets one.

DRoss3d
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6
I've decided to focus on developing my game art portfolio this year with the hopes of landing a job in the industry. I've been focusing mostly on 3d printing for the past 2 years and while it's been fun, it isn't paying the bills anymore. So my first big project for the year is an AR-15. I want to have a lot of swapable components, so I'll be using multiple texture sheets for this. I want to be able to swap pistol grips, buttstocks, optics/ironsights as well as hand guards and various accessories. I'm leaning towards an FDE and black color scheme, mostly because I think it looks sexy compared to the regular black color scheme.

Here's the highpoly so far.

I realize that the dust cover/ejection port cover looks weird. It was easier to model it at a 90 degree angle than it would be at the closed angle (I believe it's a 20 degree angle).

Replies

• DRoss3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's where I'm at so far. First texture pass. I'll add a few more details to the upper later on tonight, but for now I'll get started on the different handguards.

These were rendered in Iray. I like it's shadows better than what I get from Marmoset.

• DRoss3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for an update. 
    I've been playing around with different textures for the main body. It's been a real pain to get the FDE color correct. The different color spaces in Designer and Painter made it really difficult to get the color down. Luckily I found this tool which will convert a regular RGB (0-255) to linear RGB (0-1). http://davengrace.com/dave/cspace/

I might tweak it a little more, but for now I'm forcing myself to move onto other parts of the model. I finished the standard A2 hand guards as well as the quadrail. Next on the list of things to do is a vertical grip & flashlight.

Highpoly handguards

And here's the textures so far

• DRoss3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

I decided to tackle the optic before the other accessories. Still have to model the rear iron sight as well.