Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shaman Sanxingdui - Artstation Challenge Ancient Civilizations: Lost & Found

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6

Hey guys, I have recently joined the Artstation Challenge: Ancient Civilizations: Lost & Found. I want to create a thread here to get more feedback.

My submission: https://www.artstation.com/contests/ancient-civilizations/challenges/16/submissions/12570?sorting=latest

----------------------------------------------------------

Every time I make a new character, I tend to spend a couple of days to gather references and doing some history research to create a back story for that character. I believe this is important because it helps me and the audience to connect with the character more as we know what they have been through and what they are doing.

My character for this challenge is a dark shaman, and her name is Shu Li. She was a princess of the Chinese state of Shu, and the last shaman of Sanxingdui, a lost ancient civilization of China. 

SHU LI BACK STORY

Shu Li was a princess of Shu, half Chinese half Indian. She is pretty, strong, brave, and extremely smart. In 316 BC, the independent Shu state was conquered by the state of Qin. Shu Zhi, the king of Shu had to send his children: Shu Pan and Shu Li* to the South first to explore what are now the southern Chinese provinces of Guangxi and Yunnan and second to move their people to modern-day northern Vietnam during the invasion of the Qin dynasty. They first came upon the territory Âu Việt tribes (what is today Cao Bằng province). After assembling an army, Shu Li used her dark magic power to help Shu Pan to defeat the 18th dynasty of the Hùng king, the last line of rulers of the Hồng Bàng dynasty of Văn Lang, around 257 BC. Shu Pan proclaimed himself King An Dương, then renamed Văn Lang as Âu Lạc. After that, Shu Li left Shu Pan and had to come back to Zhongyuan (China) since she still had her duties as the princess of Shu. But no one heard anything about her, nor spoke of what happened to her.

*Please note that Shu Li is a fictional character created by me and does not exist in history.

SANXINGDUI BACKGROUND

Sanxingdui is an ancient culture dating back between 3,000 and 5000 years. Many Chinese archaeologists have identified the Sanxingdui culture to be part of the ancient state of Shu (? - c. 316 BC). During the summer of 1986, construction workers accidentally uncovered an astounding cache of more than 200 ancient jades, weapons, totems, burned animal bones, over 60 elephant tusks, monumental bronzes, and a life-sized statue of a nobleman at Sanxingdui, about 24 miles outside of the Sichuan Province capitol of Chengdu. This chance discovery has become one of the most important archaeological finds of the 20th century and has forced scholars to rewrite early Chinese history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanxingdui Read more about Sanxingdui here.

And here is a block-out of the body, still very rough.

WIP 2

An update to the body. For this character, I'm making the proportions a little bit stylized. I think the base is good enough to start working on the clothing.

Blocking out the clothing. Not really happy with the lower part, I might redesign it later.

Adding Sanxingdui Mask, Talisman, and hair

Sanxingdui Ritual Knife

Added a cape, skirt, and some accessories.

Colored skin and eyes.

To-do-list: Totems, Rings, Armlet, Bracelet, Shoes, Tattoos, and Skin Detail.

Wish-list: A pet 

Later I find there are too much stuff on her waist. So I decided to remove some accessories and see how it looks. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies