Home Unity

How long does it take you to learn unity for VR?

White_wizard
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
White_wizard polycounter lvl 2
How long did it take you to learn unity for VR?

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    nowadays its easy since everything is native. Plug in HMD, add a camera, press play, good to go.

As far as all the design challenges that are associated with VR development, thats something that can take years.
    Luckily there's tons of resources available now that the comercial headsets are out so you should have to do a lot less trial and error.

A good starting point for a general overview: https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/intro-vr/latest/concepts/bp_intro/
    That one is oculus specific, but most everything applies to any other HMD

• Monteiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monteiro polycounter lvl 7
    Trial and error was the thing for me. Even studying documentations and having simple plugins at hand. Try to make a simple project out of the blue, then think of ways to optimize it. I made the same project 2 times and i don't regret the results. And i'm still learning a lot of things.
    A good model of project to start is a simple camera travel in first person, like a walk on a house, or a ride on a roller coaster. It's simple enough but will give you the basics.
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    the hardware is plug 'n play, but understanding what works in vr and what does not (both in terms of performence and visuals) takes some time.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Depends on target VR platforms, Gear / Vive / Oculus / Cardboard or all. I have set production to bake only both for Gear and Rift even though Rift can handle more but getting 90fps is the goal. I would say roughly four months to get things going in VR when starting from scratch. Most of the time spent would be on optimizing.