Home Unreal Engine

Substance Painter to UnrealEngine BaseColor

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
fsnake polycounter lvl 9
Hello!
I was wondering if someone have any insight on how to get substance painter Basecolor to match up  with ue4 witout tweaking the texture in ue4.

This is where im at now:

SubstancePainter:
-Set Environment map to Soft_1Front
-Set Environment Exposure to -1 
This makes 50% gray BaseColor with Roughness 1 material,  to be about 50% gray in viewport with colorpicker where light hits the model. 

UE4:
-Set only 1 DirectionalLight with intensity 3 for lighting. 
This makes 50% gray BaseColor with Roughness 1 material , to be about 50% gray in viewport with colorpicker where light hits the model.

Then I testet with an asset.

My guess is that the difference in shaders and lightsetup from a 3d light source and an environment map will make it impossible to match 100%

Anyway this might be a noob question and totaly the wrong way to go about it ? 

Replies

• Shirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shirk greentooth
    Flip your green channel on the normal map. 
  • Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    Maybe you could post a screenshot of both softwares using unlit mode, in Substance you can do this by only showing your basecolor in the 3D viewer, in UE4 you can switch to it in the top left corner. This way you could check if it totally depends on the light sources or an error occurring in the export and/or importing to UE4, as it will show you and us the colors without taking lighting into account.

Regarding light setup, you could export the Soft_1Front from Substance Painter and use it in a Sky Light, this should allow you to replicate the lighting setup from Substance Painter in UE4. You can export stuff by right clicking it, like so:

Some more information on using Sky Lights and Cubemaps/HDRI's can be found here:
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/LightTypes/SkyLight/index.html

I haven't quite tried this method myself, but I am pretty sure that'll work as Substance exports those maps as HDRI's.

UE4 can sometimes also mess a bit with your roughness, it might need some tweaking to actually look the same as in Substance Painter. If you are using a RAOMT texture (a texture combining multiple PBR maps) you might want to try and uncheck the sRGB. Like here:

Your normals seem kinda messed up too? Not too sure about that though ^^"
    Good luck!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Unreal also uses a different tonemapper. Regardless if the lighting conditions are 100% identical, the linear to sRGB tonemapping is different at the moment. UE4.15+ uses ACEScg and while Painter has support for LUTs, they don't support ACES yet. I asked about it and it's coming in a future update. 

Edit: Also pretty much what has been said already is true. The RMA needs to be Linear in UE4, and that's usually the biggest issue people have with comparing results. Also make sure you don't export as PNG - it seems to do it's own gamma correction before Unreal, and Unreal will check your Base Color as Linear without telling you. That should be sRGB.
  • Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    leleuxart said:
    Also make sure you don't export as PNG - it seems to do it's own gamma correction before Unreal, and Unreal will check your Base Color as Linear without telling you. That should be sRGB.
    This, for me Targa (.TGA), is always the best option when exporting, regardless of the fact that UE4 compresses the files anyway it just seems to yield better results.