Home Technical Talk

Maya 2017 Fluid Dynamics: Simulation appears blocky and low res

Slendistry
null
Hello everyone.

Ever since I've started working with Fluid Dynamics in Maya 2017, I've been struggling to understand why Maya's fluid simulations come across blocky and seemingly "low res" for me no matter what I do. I've looked around everywhere for a solution but I can't seem to find anything. An example of what I'm talking about is this:

That's a fluid simulation on mostly default settings but with the fluidShape resolution set to 120. No matter what I do I can't seem to give it the "wispy" effect that's present in other peoples simulations. I've attempted to follow tutorials such as this one word for word yet when it comes to changing the resolution, the effect is not the same and basically results in what you see above.

I've tried altering the density settings, changing the texture opacity, altering the shading, all of that to no luck.

So my question is, am I completely missing something? Is there a setting I need to change so I can get a smooth simulation like in the video tutorial I linked? I'm at my wits end with this and I couldn't find help anywhere so I figured I should ask first hand to finally get this sorted once and for all.

I should note that this effect is present even in Maya's "sample" simulations.

Please, if anyone is able to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I'd really like to fully explore what Maya can do but things like this are just impossible for me to fix on my own.

Replies