Home General Discussion

Intuos Pro vs Wacom Cintiq 21UX DTK-2100 2nd Gen

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ISUther polycounter lvl 6
Hello, 

I own atm Wacom Intuos Pro.
I do a lot of stuff in zBrush but as one of my friends is selling his Wacom Cintiq 21UX DTK-2100 2nd Gen i started to wonder is it worth getting.
I never used similar device as Cintiq before.
What do you think does it help to be more acurate (when drawing a line in zbrush) or what other benefits it has over the Intuos Pro?

I do not know is 21 inch big or small. As i understand it is the work area is 21 inch

What do you think?

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    There were actually three major versions of 21UX : the first two were grey (using Intuos3 tech) and the last one was black (Intuos4). I would assume that in your case it is the black one.

The 21UX black is a fantastic device, with pros and cons :

+ Aspect ratio is 4:3, which can be good for character art.
    + The surface feels great (not too rough) and doesn't scratch up as opposed to some of the earlier grey revisions (some were glass, some were acrylic).
    + Sensitivity is as good as one would expect.
    + It doesn't heat up as much as the previous 21UXs ...

- ... but it still heats up to an extent.
    - Be 100% sure to test it before you buy. The digitizer panel can have issues over time, and some can be dead on arrival even if brand new. This can be fixed by Wacom but if the device you are getting has this sort of issue and comes without a warranty you'll have to pay fully for it to be serviced.
    - You will gain zero benefit from it for Zbrush use. As far as I am concerned I find it mostly useful for lineart cleanup and some specific parts of the painting process. If you end up buying one you'll likely want to keep a regular tablet too, meaning that you'll have to make sure that there is a driver that can support the two units at the same time. Intuos3 and Intuos4 tech devices can definitely be used together, but the bigger the gap between versions the less likely drivers are going to work. IntuosPro is one generation above Intuos4 therefore I would suspect that 4 tech and Pro tech can work in tandem but there's no way to be sure without trying.
    - Some Wacom drivers have a bug which cause the tracking of Cintiqs to switch from sub-pixel to per-pixel on Windows ...

+ ... but Lazynezumi now comes with a special fix that completely address the issue (even when LZN is turned off).
  • ISUther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ISUther polycounter lvl 6
    He has this one: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95GvRH_e38s&t=134s

I was thinking to get this one or save a little and buy 24 inch or 27