Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Koakan - Artstation Game Art Character Challenge

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
saulti polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone! I'm working on the artstation challenge going on right now and thought I'd make a thread to maybe get some feedback as I go. I'm working on a concept by Oscar Romer which he did for the concept design phase of the challenge. It's an ancient mayan warrior with a little twist on the look. I think it looks slightly more rigid and techy than actual Mayan clothing was. Everything back then was slightly sloppy since it had to be hand made with relatively primitice tools. Where as in this concept and some of his others the patterns or designs on the armor and things look really precise and squared off perfectly. I plan on staying pretty true to the design but I was thinking I'd add some extra detail like more pattern work and things into the armor and head piece. Here is an image of the concept I'm working from 

And here is my progress so far. .

Most of it is just blockin work right now, with the exception of the head, which I'm starting to try and finalize the shapes of. I'd really like to hit a level of quality and realism in this one that I haven't attempted before so any feedback on this would be hugely appreciated. 

Replies

• saulti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saulti polycounter lvl 6

Worked on the helmet, cape, and cloth around the waist. I think those are pretty much done so I'd love any feedback anyone has to give on those elements. It was my first time using Marvelous designer too so maybe some of you pros can spot some rookie mistakes when it comes to using that software. I did sculpt over it all to try and get the final result to be a little more in line with the concept.
  • saulti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saulti polycounter lvl 6

Spent a while doing some polish work on the armor tonight. Got the designs into the stomach panels, made the plates that make up the armor around his neck, worked on some stitching on the cape and the straps around his mid section. I also pushed around the shapes of the shin pads to thin them out at the ankles a bit. I think it helps push the silhouette ever so slightly. 

I had a lot of fun working on the pattern that lines the cape. I had to make it up but I think it's in keeping with the hint of it we get from the shoulder in the original concept. 

• saulti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saulti polycounter lvl 6
    Well, I’m starting this guy back up again after a massive break 😀 I worked a bit today on the head, adding tertiary details and some finer details like wrinkles. Also broke symmetry to start pushing the realism a bit. Would love any feedback on the head.