Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Huntress Robot

null
Good evening all,
For a uni assignment we had to build either robots or mechs, or anything similar to those two concepts. Initially I set out to build a transformer called Arcee but I re-designed it a bit to try to make it into something more personal. In League of Legends, one of my favourite characters is Nidalee so I took inspiration from her concepts and tried to amalgamate the two to make a huntress themed robot.

I also wanted to take the chance to really practice some Hard Surface Zbrush so I was using the Eat3D Zbrush Hard Surface Volume 2 DVD as my source for the technique. That's the concept sculpt - retop - crease - sub divide - additional detail workflow.

This was the concept art I was initially working from. Mandatory "I didn't make it, credit to the artist who did". (Judging by the file name I believe it was created by an artist called Tom Stockwell but forgive me if I'm wrong.)

From that, I created a concept sculpt in stages. Most of it came from the same sphere but a few elements (The wheels, some of the floating geo) were added as extra subtools.

From there I started adding new elements. The lower legs went from wheels to rocket boosters, I added a ponytail, rebuilt the joints to make them more sensible. I liked the three pronged spear from Headhunter Nidalee so I started with a similar concept, but somehow ended up with a four pointed spear/harpoon gun hybrid. I'm not entirely sure how my thought process got from A to B, but I like the result so I'm not going to complain.

This is where I'm at so far:

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, I would gladly welcome all of them!

Also, it's worth mentioning that I'm going to be applying additional normal information via substance painter when I get to texturing, hence why it's not quite as noisy as it could be. I'm really looking forward to doing more to this piece so I'll be posting updates as soon as possible!

Thank you for your time and I wish you all a wonderful day!

Replies

• Seraphim3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seraphim3D null
    Hey there Polycount! I've now finished working on the Robot and have rendered it out in Unreal Engine 4. I've tried a lot of new things with this project such as procedurally texturing it using materials/material functions instead of texture flats and for the renders, I've been experimenting with different camera lenses to try to get some interesting effects. Any feedback on the renders would be greatly appreciated!

Also I apologise for the order of the renders. It got scrambled when I was uploading and I can't work out how to re-organise it.