Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[wip] Nissan Skyline R30 JDM

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Unlimion polycounter lvl 4

I was trying to model a car for... I don't know. That was a couple of exteremely painful attempts that were lasting for months I guess. Finally something has changed and my N-th try is worth sharing with you. This thread will also help me to motivate myself (as usual. lol).

Ok. Here are some shots I have made during the pipeline. 
I'm using references only bcs I found that quality blueprint for R30 is painful to find, and blueprint way to build a model doesn't suit my modelling style. We are working for the great looking result, right?

'dummy', important proportions and forms only.

Nice wheels, straight outa Japan ;) I was frustrating during the main mesh fixing, so I have decided to switch abit and make this baby.

wireframe view

I have added traditional jdmish wheel arches and alpha-shoted them with the wheels inside. You can see some screwed up polygons on the main car body. But they are fixed by now ;)

Another two iterations. Fixed some bizarre triangles, worked with the paint and tested out some compositions. This Sky will have a classic nissan Cayenne Red color with matte black body parts.

Keyshot testing of the rim material. (these tests helps a lot when I feel really tired doing the same job for hours, refreshing in some way)

Updated body, with detached plastic parts and cut windows. Again some fixes and re-works. 

Windows are on their places now. Some strange bugs can be seen easily, will be fixed soon.

That's all for now.
I'm working 2-3 hours a day with the model, trying to be as productive as possible. 

In plans: custom lights, oldschool decals, lot's of work with materials and shaders. And of course, my beloved part: looking out for modelling an environment. 

Thank you for C&C. =)

Replies

• Vozz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vozz triangle
    I found the easiest way to make a car is to find one of the many blueprints of the car from every angle I want on google, the download it and bring it into my modelling software, then apply it to a plane and model out the base shape over it. It looks like You jumped many steps ahead and have so many polys to work with that you will have a headache soon!

Here's a blueprint of the car you are making, with some quick adjustments in Photoshop to get 4 separate images you can make a little work area around your car to work from; it ensures your details are in the right place and you always keep important edges in the correct place. I personally hate making cars; so much tedious work trying to get them right, but good luck to you!
  • Unlimion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vozz said:
    I found the easiest way to make a car is to find one of the many blueprints of the car from every angle I want on google, the download it and bring it into my modelling software, then apply it to a plane and model out the base shape over it. It looks like You jumped many steps ahead and have so many polys to work with that you will have a headache soon!

Here's a blueprint of the car you are making, with some quick adjustments in Photoshop to get 4 separate images you can make a little work area around your car to work from; it ensures your details are in the right place and you always keep important edges in the correct place. I personally hate making cars; so much tedious work trying to get them right, but good luck to you!
    That will help me alot! Thank you very much!
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Also one more thing, dont model the entire car, model as in real life, the hood separate geometry, the sides, the doors, detach them, it is more easy to model that way. If you like to model cars i suggest looking at this forum-> http://www.smcars.net/, please admin remove it if i`m not allowed. 
  • Unlimion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s1dK said:
    Also one more thing, dont model the entire car, model as in real life, the hood separate geometry, the sides, the doors, detach them, it is more easy to model that way. If you like to model cars i suggest looking at this forum-> http://www.smcars.net/, please admin remove it if i`m not allowed. 
    Thank you. I have reached the point of realization that this way of separate modelling is much more easier in some ways... too late though. Now I'm about to detach a lot of things here. sigh.