Home Technical Talk

Upgrading my Wacom...

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys -

Looking to upgrade my tablet since I just started a new job at a studio. Currently I have a Wacom Pen and Touch Medium and it's been great. I don't have many complaints at all, if any. But I feel I should upgrade to a more studio/professional tablet since the one I have is for mainly travel with a laptop. 

I think I prefer the medium size, haven't had any issues with my current one. Would going up to the large size be a big improvement or is it just more personal preference?

Can anyone recommend one? For Maya/Zbrush/Texturing. I don't need the top of the line. 

Thanks in advance

(sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in general)

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    mobkon said:
    Currently I have a Wacom Pen and Touch Medium and it's been great. I don't have many complaints at all, if any. 
    My advice: Keep what you have and put your money toward software/scripts/training material.

Your tablet is perfectly fine for professional work. 

Would going up to the large size be a big improvement or is it just more personal preference?

The only factor in choosing size is your own personal comfort. Large tablets are not better than small tablets, the only thing that matters is that you can comfortably work with it. 

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's personal preference and habit, and if you're asking if you need a larger one, you probably don't. Take a look at the wear marks right now and see where you draw, and keep an eye on yourself in your next few sessions. Do you use the whole tablet to make wide strokes with your arm?
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    I don't see the need to update your tablet here, Medium is the most prefered size. Unless you're working with a really large monitor
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the replies guys. I should clarify a bit...I was mainly referring to the model, not the size. My current model isn't the "pro" therefor only having 1024 pressure levels opposed to the 8192 that the pro has. I have never used a tablet with anything other than 1024 pressure level, so not sure what I'm missing! If anything at all...
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I'm pretty sure anything over 1024 isn't even visible. Hell, 512 probably looks the same. I think the higher pressure levels are just used to push people into "upgrading" periodically with the false impression of improved functionality.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Pressure levels are virtually meaningless at this point, the most tangible benefits of pro-series tablets are the additional buttons.