Home General Discussion

Outside of movies/games, why don't 3D art pieces get reused more often?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I don't really want to use the word "reuse" as it might sound like it's diminishing its purpose, but what I'm trying to say is how come when a 3D piece gets made there isn't more of a "continuity" to it? 

Like sometimes I would see one artist might have made this fantasy character and then next is a swordsman, and then this realistic gun. And that's the end. Even years after the fact, it doesn't feel like you ever see those art pieces continue to exist in one form or another. Even though these things already exist.

Here's an example of what I mean by reoccurring art:

On the far left was my first stylized car, in the middle was the second design 1 year later, and the last one was the final design (also a year later).
Even in the differences in rendering, they all still fall into the same universe (i.e their wheels are all shaped like ovals, they have exaggerated roofs, the seats take up more room).

"Universes" is the better word I was looking for. Does this phenomenon exist elsewhere?

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    well that depends on the artist, not everyone wants to redo the same things over and over again.
     on top of that, If your doing client work thats not really up to you.

but as far as I know it literary happens all the time.
    Im not even sure I understand what your talking about, the majority of artist has a consistent style through most of their artwork.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    What do you mean by "reused"? Because it doesn't look like your example is an example of "reuse", but rather, they share the same inspiration, and fit a similar style.

I try to make a consistent universe through most of what I do (3D, writing, etc), but unless you know what to look for, you might not see it. I suspect that's true for many artists. And I absolutely love when movies and games do that, even with seemingly disconnected franchises. Lovecraft also does a great job of this in his writing.
  • Ariannwyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Ariannwyn polycounter lvl 4
    I really like that!! :D
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Joop nailed it, youre describing a similar aesthetic not actual reuse. Reuse is common though, for example studios often build libraries of assets. Outside of games and movies? Well, what exactly are you looking for? Architects probably keep prefabs between projects to quickly prototype with etc.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Joopson said:
    What do you mean by "reused"? Because it doesn't look like your example is an example of "reuse", but rather, they share the same inspiration, and fit a similar style.

I try to make a consistent universe through most of what I do (3D, writing, etc), but unless you know what to look for, you might not see it. I suspect that's true for many artists. And I absolutely love when movies and games do that, even with seemingly disconnected franchises. Lovecraft also does a great job of this in his writing.
    I guess my example falls inbetween "reusing" and "aesthetic".

Technically, they're meant to be the same but until the last picture I didn't make more scenes with them yet. But it's that commitment to keeping the design alive through 3 generations and planning to reuse them is what I mean about continuity. 

Now this is what I wanted to touch upon when I brought up the Swordsman. Someone makes a Swordsman piece, but they might never experiment with that same character/design again.
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Well, maybe because they want to get a job and they probably won't get a job if they just focus on silly stuff like "keeping one asset alive"?
    Or perhaps they just aren't as sentimental as you are? 
     Maybe as they get better at modeling they also become better designers and see so many flaws in old design that they find it easier to do a new design?

I do like to repaint and redraw old pieces but that's mostly because I get some twisted pleasure from taking a shitty old artwork and turning it into something relatively good.
  • Shmaba
    I honestly don't know what you're talking about man. Are you talking about style? Do you mean that artists should put more care into building a setting or world around their models? Are you just saying people should go back and remaster older works more often? Cause all this just seems very subjective and entirely up to the individual artist to decide what they want to do with their ideas.
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I have way too many ideas, and projects take way too long, to generally have much interest in revisiting old ideas.
  • EarthQuake
    Iteration is the word you're looking for, reuse is generally the opposite.

Iteration is very common in games, but too much iteration can be detrimental to reaching an end goal. If you simply remodel the same assets over and over, you'll never finish a project with any sort of complexity.

Iteration is generally most practical and beneficial when done in the early phases of any sort of design, so typically in the pre-production and concept stage, where an artist can make 100 thumbnails, 10 rough sketches, etc, while nailing down a design. Iterating on 3D assets can be extremely time consuming.

Personally I rarely come back and iterate on any of my personal work. It's much more fun to create something new than obsess over the same thing. Starting a new task gives you new challenges to tackle and generally more room for growth and improvement as well, though there is merit to modeling something as many times as it takes to get it to look good, mostly for less experienced artists.
  • RyanB
    JordanN said:

Even in the differences in rendering, they all still fall into the same universe (i.e their wheels are all shaped like ovals, they have exaggerated roofs, the seats take up more room).

"Universes" is the better word I was looking for. Does this phenomenon exist elsewhere?
    You are describing shape grammars.  They exist everywhere, most often in architecture, and in all cultures.
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Iam still kind of confused about what is actually talked about. Do you mean like a lot of Final Fantasy content has been around since the first yet went through reimaginations and technical updates for every titel? Like Shiva has always been an ice goddess that went through updates and updates (and then turned into two almost naked ice girls turning into a motorbike).
  • CrimDa
    Offline / Send Message
    CrimDa vertex
    I'll keep assets that I've had before and reuse it as a base if I'm creating something similar. For example, I have a base of a human shape and I'll reuse that to create human characters so I don't have to create it from scratch. I know many people who do this. Saves a bunch of time. But as far as re-using assets in other projects, unless they have the same aesthetic between the projects.. I don't know if I would.