Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook : MoonYeah

null
Offline / Send Message
MoonYeah null
Hello everyone !

I hope i'm posting in the right place, i'll obviously use this post as my sketchbook but i also want to use it as a roadmap that shows my lifechangeplan.

I'm totally new here so first let me introduce myself.

My name is Florent and i'm 30 years old, i'm a 2D artist in a mobile game company in France, and if i'm here today it's mainly because my life needs an emergency revolution...

Working in the video game industry has always been my dream, in 2010 i thought this dream was coming true, but then i realized mobile games and games in general are two completely distinct universe (at least for now).
Nowadays i'm bored to death because my job mainly consists in fixing GUI in Unity, sometimes i do particles, and once in a while i'm asked to do a character in order to not turn crazy because of chara design deprivation...

The main reason for all of this is mainly the lack of projects that require "art" and even more because we tend to use old assets in order not to spend too much money.

Anyway, the point is, i'm depressed at how things turned out, and now i need a plan to move on.

First of all, here's a link to my deviantart : moonyeah.deviantart.com
I'm really not happy with my current skill level, and i know i need to improve much faster than this, like i said i'm 30 years old, and sometimes i feel like i'm totally fucked, with no chance of going further, other times i remember that age doesn't mean a thing, and i start focusing on what i've got to do in order to improve.

I decided to start learning 3D 2 or 3 weeks ago.

My life goal would be to become a character artist, mainly for games, not necessarily on the concept art side of things, i'm okay with pure production as long as i'm modelling on top of great concepts i guess.
For now i don't know shit about 3d modelling, i'm a total noob and i even regressed a bit in terms of fundamentals those past months, because i spend my time doing GUI and it drives me nuts...

So, that's all for now, i'll roam the forum looking for advice on how to actually learn 3D, what to learn, which tool to use etc...

For now i'm on Blender because it's free and i found a cheap course to follow on Udemy, but i'm also scared i'm learning wrong stuff there...

Here's my absolute first 3D model so that this post hopefully can be called a "sketchbook" XD
It's a manor i did during a course about primitives in blender, i told you i was a total noob.

Thanks a lot to all of you in advance, i already feel i'm in the right place (saw some feedback on over users posts).
MY

Replies

• MoonYeah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoonYeah null

Hello there,

This is my very first upload on Sketchfab, the main purpose of this upload is mainly personal, when you see the result you might wonder why i’m taking the time to show you something that bad…

I know that sometimes we tend to wait for our skill level to get higher before uploading anything, but i’m sort of convinced that keeping this first approach to 3D will be a fun memory in the future.

If i improve for real, i’ll be glad to at least have this one here, just in order to remind me where i come from, and if i see no significant improvement in the next few months, well maybe i’ll change my mind and go find another carreer plan…

I started working on this just after my boss asked me to learn the complete pipeline to produce a 3D character for Unity (on my free time of course) without the texturing part and with no particular objectives regarding the quality, basically Model/Rig/Animate/Prototype in Unity.

I'm stuck at the Unity part, it requires more of a developer way of thinking, even if i'm used to Unity itself, i never implemented a 3D character into it, i started following along some tutorials, i think i'll get around it the next week.

When i'm done with this i'll basically have a rough idea of every step for producing a basic game character (that's the idea even though there is like a million more to know XD)

Go ahead if you have any comment, i'm planning on subscribing to CGcookie in order to start focusing on modelling characters in Blender, i really need to learn the very basics of modelling and sculpting before i can move on.

model

• CrimDa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrimDa vertex
    I think the art you have in your portfolio looks nice. Great colors and good composition. The model is nice for a first try. I mean, you got it walking and all so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Willingness to learn is important.
  • MoonYeah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoonYeah null
    i've been away for some time, lot's of work on our latest game, but i did find time this weekend to try out some speedsculpt on my freshly bought ZbrushCore.

Here's a skull and a face i did yesterday, the face was done following along a Zclassroom Course, it's a WIP of course (and i struggle so much with the eyelids XD)

model

model
  • MoonYeah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoonYeah null
    keeping up on the same sculpt from Zclassrooms, i added colors but right now what i think is i should focus on the next one, i'll probably start the same course all over again with all i already learnt.

In the end the parts which i struggled the most with were the nostrils, mouth and eyelids, for some reason i can't figure out what i did differently from the teacher...

model
  • MoonYeah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoonYeah null
    A speed sculpt just before going to work, took me around 45 minutes, ears and hair are extracted mask (just learnt about it yesterday in a YT video)
    By the way, i'm not trying to be realistic here, i've more of a semi realistic style, but i'm considering doing some anatomy studies in Zbrush with refs and all.

Any feedback would be appreciated, based on my current progress with my previous work, would you say i'm on the right track or am i going too fast on the fun stuff while missing important basics on my way? like fundamentals i should know in 3D that are critical or anything else?

Thanks a lot
    MY!!
  • MoonYeah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoonYeah null
    CrimDa said:
    I think the art you have in your portfolio looks nice. Great colors and good composition. The model is nice for a first try. I mean, you got it walking and all so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Willingness to learn is important.
    Thanks a lot.

For the walking dude, i finally realized that was some big step for me at the time, the main problem was how ugly he looked, i didn't learn to sculpt or model a character before i started to rig him, now that i own a ZbrushCore licence i can go back to the basics and start sculpting some characters properly, but for now i decided to really focus on my 2D skills.

I've been contacted by a company who seems interested in my profile and their project looks really nice, so they asked me to pass an art test, i've been working on it for some days now, and here is the result, i hope to complete it by the end of next weekend, before would be ideal of course.
    i've been fixing the arm over and over again and also if he has no right arm don't panic... at first he was holding the top part of the chest, but it was too far away from his body, so i erased it and eventually got distracted by the treasure itself, now i need to decided where to put his freaking right arm.

i really need to work out some method for my future work XD

Tell me what you guys think.
    MY!!