Home Career & Education

What information do I need to know as a beginner game artist?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Shylock polycounter lvl 2
First off, my main goal is to become an environment artist (or hold a job with any of the other responsibilities under the umbrella of environment artist). 

I have been having a very hard time getting a start in what I want to do because I feel like I am going into this without all the information I need to know. I want to be able to make props and texture them, just as a first major feat but I need to learn how to model first. I watch tutorials from professionals but I feel like I'm only getting shown how to make said object and that is it. Not the reason, or how to handle the polycount for games. If I go off and start modeling without knowing important factors like that and probably more, I think that will lead to developing bad habits down the road.

I know how to do the most simple things in Maya and Max, to the point where i can still create a 3D model of very plain objects, but that is it. Should I just continue making simple objects and then add more detail as I go along? (moving on to more complicated models later?) Should I move on to sculpting after i have a grasp with modeling, or move to texturing? 

I am very frustrated because I keep searching for all of atleast some of the knowledge to begin modeling with confidence in my knowledge of what i'm doing (even at just a beginner stage), but i have yet to find what I need. I've checked the wiki, have been lead to more tutorials, I've searched the forums, and the questions being asked do not exactly fit the questions I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would love to start learning as soon as possible, I just need help!

Replies