File linking Across Multiple PSDs

quad damage
Online / Send Message
TeriyakiStyle quad damage
Sometimes I miss the old hand painting feel of just scrumbling up your edges with photoshop brushes - exploring ways to add more hand craft into my material work:

There's probably a better way to do this but until Photoshop starts using python I'll have to use this workaround.

^^^Made a separate file called "Manual_Masking.psd" that is essentially a gray-scale mask.  The other groups in the psd are to help painting and are hidden before the save action plays through.  You can make this look however you want so long as the groups are hidden before save.

All groups hidden - then the action saves.

^^^Each PSD can treat the updated mask layer however it needs to
The "Manual_Masking.psd" was embedded as a linked file (different than a plain smart object!) into the diffuse,spec,and gloss.  When the action plays through it batch saves all of these.

Then Toolbag Auto updates nicely. It's a good way to manually paint wear and tear and can be used as a finishing move for your substances/ddos or go fully into hand painted PBR.

If you have better setups please share - fold it into 3d Coat? Idk.   I'll still use substance and all that but once in a while I know the exact look I want and will do this.

Replies