Home Adobe Substance

UV map is overlapping parts

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello there,

I have this UV map, where some of the parts are overlapping. I need them to be seperated in order to correctly apply textures to it. How can i seperate the parts in the UV?

Replies

• NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    By moving the uv islands (???)

Is this your asset? If not, the person who made it maybe did apply different materials for some parts, which makes it look like they are all overlapping but at the end if you paint on some 3d paint app it will probably separate those pieces by materials.

Just guessing thought.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes this looks like separate materials. Which 3d program are you using?
  • RottenPairOfSUCCs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, thanks for your answers. This is a model(.obj) of a sniper rifle, where the scope and the main rifle is seperated. When i load the model i Photoshop, it seperates the UV's for both parts automatically. I am using Substance Painter 2 to paint onto the model. What would you suggest me to do in this case? When i downloaded the model, it came with two targa files, one for the scope and one.  The model itself contains the UV shown above. 

Using Substance Painter 2, is it possible to seperate the two materials? 

Problem is, the games that i am making custom skins for(CSGO) only accepts UV's from their original files, so in a bit confused. If i could remove the scope UV from the collection, that would work as well.

Thanks in advance!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving to the Allegorithmic section so you get the appropriate support.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Substance Painter uses material assignments to separate the UVs, so you need to make sure to apply different materials to the different parts of the model so that there is no overlapping UVs.
  • RottenPairOfSUCCs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Jerc, how does that work in practice?
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    Basically, you need to assign a unique material in your 3D editor to the objects in each different UV set. Substace will then parse those as different texture sets, and you'll be able to texture them independently with everything separated.
  • LORDBEAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LORDBEAN polycounter lvl 4
    the overlapping parts are from the lenses of the scope so if you delete them you should be fine