Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Banner Stand - WIP Prop

RedAlert19
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
RedAlert19 polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone! I graduated from school not too long ago and I'm trying to update my portfolio. So I'm posting my stylized work in progress based on this concept art. I'm hoping to improve my skills and ability and to one day take the first steps into the industry. Feedback and critique would be greatly appreciated.

Wish me luck!

Replies

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work on the modeling! Will you be texturing as well? :)
  • RedAlert19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 said:
    Nice work on the modeling! Will you be texturing as well? :)
    Yep, I'm hoping to do a full unwrap and texture, I;m not sure on what texturing program to use though? Maybe a mix of Photoshop and Substance painter?
  • OFPismySOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OFPismySOP polycounter lvl 6

Looking very nice! The only thought I have is to put in some holes or pinching at the points of the banner that touch the cross beam support, to make it look like it's being secured.
  • pmnuckels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmnuckels polycounter lvl 3
    Nice work so far, can't wait to see it done.  To me, the leather or cloth on the front looks too thick for the material conveyed in your concept.
  • RedAlert19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I'm working on some of the other accessories for the prop but I'm having a hard time with the skull. Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe I'm spending too much time on it? What do you guys think?

• RedAlert19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP/Update for some of the props I'm making

• RedAlert19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I'm in a bit of a bind right now. I'm trying to figure out how to properly create rope for my prop. (Examples of my attempts are below). Do you guys have any advice, tutorials, or anything that can point me in the right direction?

• RedAlert19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! This is an update on the project I've been working on, and right now I'm attempting to add in rope. A friend of mine passed this cool rope insert brush and I've been having fun experimenting with it. I'm hoping to get close to the result I want but any feedback, critique, or tips are a welcome.

• RedAlert19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! Here is a quick update on my project. Hoping I'm getting closer to completion but critiques or feedback are welcome, Hoping to do a few more sculpting to tighten up the project. What are your thoughts?

• RedAlert19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! Here is a quick update on my project (sorry for the quality of the pictures). Right now I'm in the retopology phase of the project. Since I'm not too familiar with this  technique I decided to decimate the highpoly mesh and import them into Maya  to retopo, which seems to be working well for me. After I've done this for all my items I'm planning to clean up the polyflow in Zbrush. Any advice or critiques are welcome!

• RedAlert19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello to those out there in the abyss. Still working this project but I've hit a big snag and any tips or advice would be a big help. Right now I've retopoed all the items for my prop and I even have them unwrapped to the best of my abilities. The thing is I've never retopoed in my life  (I usually worked from low to mid but I understand it in theory) so it was a lot of success and failures (a lot of failures).  But right now I'm not even sure if I got that right. So feedback would be very much appreciated. Below are some pics

• sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    The first thing that sticks out to me for your retopo'd meshes is the density of your mesh and texel density of your UVs. For a low poly/retopo you want there to be no extra geo that isn't contributing to the form of the object. The low poly should match the silhouette of the high poly but you don't need all of those extra edge loops since I assume you'll be baking normal maps.

Texel density basically means the black checkerboard pattern should be the same scale across the whole model. You can see where it's mismatched in areas like the teeth in relation to the skull - you need to decrease the size of the teeth UVs to match the skull or vice versa.

I think your ZBrush sculpt looks awesome by the way. :)

Edited to add: You also want to pay attention to where you put your UV cuts to minimize stretching and warping. You don't want the black checkerboard pattern to warp too much around the model. I'd suggest doing a search for "uv map" and looking at how the UV's are laid out and how the checkerboard pattern is supposed to look on the model.