Home Unreal Engine

Substance Desginer to Unreal, basecolor map turns out tinted in the material editor?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Grindy polycounter lvl 10
Hi! I've been strugginling with an issue involving Substance Designer 6 and UE 4.15 for a couple hours now...

I created a material in Substance Designer, then I exported the .sbsar file to use it in UE. When I import the .sbsar in UE, I get all the usual files as expected, but the Material that is created in UE has the basecolor map tinted in red. However, the texture for the basemap that is displayed inside UE is of the correct color, it seems that once it reaches the Material Editor it becomes tinted in red for reasons I can't explain.

I tried to import another material that I created in a previous session of Designer when I was following a tutorial and that one works fine so I'm really lost as far as what is not working with this one.

I appreciated your help!

Here's a few screenshots:

Here's the intended basecolor texture.

Once in the Material Editor the basecolor turns red...

Replies

• daviddionne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daviddionne polycounter lvl 3
    Probably too late but if someone is asking the same thing... i fixed my issue this way

In your substance, add a 'gradient' node juste before your baseColor output. Your baseColor output will be set to color mode and not grayscale.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Since you originally exported out a grayscale texture, it's saved in the grayscale colorspace and imported with grayscale compression.

Your method would result in the texture being compressed by DXT1 by default like standard color maps. But if your texture is only grayscale, you can overwrite it with the same grayscale compression that it was using originally. It's a little more expensive on the memory side, but better compression for the single channel. You can usually down-res it by 1 level to save memory and not have any issues compared to a DXT1 compression at a higher-res.

However if you don't fix it in Substance or some other means, all you have to do is pull off the red channel to the Base Color input in Unreal. :)