Home Career & Education

Cant get a job in the industry

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
DeathstrokeFTW polycounter lvl 4
Hello!
I am a 3d Artist from Pakistan, I graduated in July 2016 from the UK in Games Design but after moving back from the UK ive had a tough time getting a job in the industry. I mostly do environments but also like to do vehicles and props. Wherever I apply I just get rejected, one time I got an art test but they rejected me without telling me what the problem was. Is it that my portfolio is bad or just that without experience I wont be able to get a job?

Replies

• PJPayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PJPayne polycounter lvl 7
    It could be a huge number of things from people having more experience than you while applying tot he same jobs, to the look the companies are look for doesn't show through your portfolio. Something I suggest (after looking through your art station would be to also show process photos (showing the pieces of a modular set piece you used in a screenshot like so: https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/005/093/627/large/jonathon-frederick-11.jpg?1488409632

(Something I even have to get used to as well :P)

It could also be your resume, how it's worded, etc.
  • Stuart Campbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuart Campbell polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Ali,

I took a quick look at your Artstation page and the main issue for me is the content, both in terms of quality and the content itself.

You said you mostly do environments, yet the content on there isn't heavily focused on environment work. You have 1 environment shot, two vehicle shots (1 does have some background environment art), a spaceship, a prop and an unfinished WIP piece.

What roles have you been applying for? If you want an employer to take notice of you above the other candidate, you need to provide them with something that sells them on the value you can provide to their business. The quality of the work obviously matters, but the content is also important. They will want to see more environment work than this, and they will be looking for pieces that relate to the type of work they need.

I've written about this here on Polycount...
    http://polycount.com/discussion/178125/struggling-to-break-into-the-industry-is-your-folio-helping-you

and on my own site here...
    http://www.gameartmentor.com/the-purpose-of-a-folio/

Your work shows potential and the batmobile asset shows you can create complex models. I just think your folio needs a little more focus in terms of the content you create.

There are some issues with modelling which are quite common. For example...

I also think you could push the texturing work much further. The assets feel like they have had a base colour and normal pass. I would work more on the surface qualities. Its not obvious what material the objects are made of so look at the metallic and roughness maps. Also think about how to add a bit of history into them through wear, damage, etc.

Try to impart some sort of narrative into your scenes.
    • What's happening in the scene right now? 
    • How did it come to be the way it is?
    • How do you want to lead the viewer through the image?
    • What should the mood of the piece be?
    • How can lighting help with the mood and the journey through the image?
    The sci-fi corridor feels like a starting point, but you could layer up so much more into this and create a much more compelling image.

Hope this helps.

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathstrokeFTW polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Ali,

*snip*
    TY very much for pointing all of that out, I have done more environments before but I dont post those because they are bad in-terms of everything. I agree about the prop but I did it as per requirement of the art test, I wanted to add more details but it looked like I was doing unnecessary stuff on it. So far I have applied for Props, Environments and Vehicles, I think I do well in all those 3 parts but by far I have the most experience in Environments. The Batmobile scene is a combination of Vehicle and Environment so I think I need to add more breakdowns. 
    As for a level up in Environments, I am currently working on a personal project (http://polycount.com/discussion/183764/wip-star-citizen-corridor-environment-for-study-and-portfolio#latest) and later on Im going to take part in the Artstation 3D Environment challenge so that may add a bit more variety.

TY again for clearing this up!