Home General Discussion

Game/FX Art gallery, exhibits etc.

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
another caveman greentooth
Hello,

Has anyone ever seen / heard of such exhibitions or galleries?
Where like game artists expose their work?
I know there are like game art museums and stuff, but I'm more talking about something where artists expose their (professional or not) work, like you'd be seeing textures, props, whatever you know.
whatever country/city

Thought it could be interesting to have - what do you think

I know of the Arludik one in Paris, but it doesn't really work like that, it's more like a game art book kind of thing, you see final stuff

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure I understand. What's the appeal of seeing digital work in print form on a gallery wall? When I can see tons of it online in half a second?
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could be digital, but you'd have opportunity to have a talk with the artist as you go through it
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Not sure I understand. What's the appeal of seeing digital work in print form on a gallery wall? When I can see tons of it online in half a second?
    up until recently I would probably have said the same thing, but I went to an exhibition quite recently that was showing digital 3D/2D art, some that I had previously seen on the web. and the size of them and seeing them on a canvas made quite an impact, sure if it`s small prints I wouldn`t really be interested but seeing those 8k pix renders on 2x3m good quality prints gave it new life and was quite an experience.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    There's a bunch of artists, companies and groups putting together VR spaces where they build an environment both physically and digitally so that they match up, that stuff is cool.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Chimp said:
    There's a bunch of artists, companies and groups putting together VR spaces where they build an environment both physically and digitally so that they match up, that stuff is cool.
    This is an idea I can get behind.

I even think in the future, this is how all portfolios should be done. Linking to a website would take you to a virtual house and you can inspect models like how we inspect paintings.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The Art Ludique museum in Paris focuses on exhibits about the entertainment industry - ie movies and games. Last year they had the Dishonored clay busts on display, Zbrush videos, printed concept art from Remember Me and Assassin's Creed , and so on.

http://www.artludique.com/

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2015/09/25/l-art-dans-le-jeu-video-l-exposition-qui-met-les-artistes-francais-a-l-honneur_4771941_4408996.html

As for the original question about where to find artists exposing their own work : this sort of indie stuff is starting to show up in California, because this is where a lot of game studios are located. 3D artists are starting to sell casts of their 3d prints at Monsterpalooza, and so on.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that is very cool Pior! Ive seen gorrillaz art exhibited at the design museum in london but I dont get the impression its particularly common to have exhibits like that.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Pior is right that in California there has been a pretty big movement of art exhibits and public displays of entertainment art, especially games related.  One exhibit comes to mind quite a bit, from the guys at Photonic Playground.  It is run by a couple Blizzard guys, hope they dont mind the plug :).  I haven't been able to get to an event yet, but keeping my eyes open for an excuse to visit.  Southern California is a huge industry hub, as previously mentioned, and lots of student and professional showcases have been popping up.  

http://www.photonicplayground.com/#intro
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior I really wonder how the hell I came to spell it "Arludik"...
    Would love to see a Gorillaz one too

As for the original question about where to find artists exposing their own work : this sort of indie stuff is starting to show up in California, because this is where a lot of game studios are located. 3D artists are starting to sell casts of their 3d prints at Monsterpalooza, and so on.

Could totally fit with Montreal as well, thats giving me ideas..