Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Beginner question about 2D vs 3D walls/modular pieces for game.

Hi there,

I've taken an interest in 3D modeling and particular creating 3D objects for games. I've gone through a few tutorials that have helped me learn about concepts such as low poly modeling, modularity for buildings, and general Maya tips/tricks to make things go smoother.

While those have been very helpful, I'm looking to start creating modular pieces for a building you could theoretically walk into as a character in a game. In this case, presumably I would want to use polygonal cubes to model my wall rather than 2D planes right? My understanding of it is that when creating structures that you won't go into anyways, there's no need to use 3D geometry as it's just wasting polygons for the same result as what a 2D plane will give you. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong though please)

I also haven't been able to find a good lengthy tutorial that gets into modeling structures that allow for inside interaction. I've created concepts and have a visualization of what my structures should look like, but lack the know-how and best practices to implement them. So if anyone has a suggestion for a good tutorial covering modularity/building interior/ geared towards game dev I would love to see it. 

Cheers!