Home Career & Education

Germany - education opportunities

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
jzweigii polycounter lvl 4
Have a question for the forum. Recently, I've been thinking about going back to school for cgi and animation, or something around that field. I've learned recently about students going over to Germany to get their education, tuition free, and wondered if anyone  could recommend schools and programs there that they have gone through it. I know more and more the need for "standard degree programs", especially in the arts, can be hard to justify, especially if the price tag is high. But, if I could get into a school there, and get the time to really learn the craft and surround myself with awesome people without piling on more debt, I'd say thats a win-win!

Also, I've already been doing online training through pluralsight, and have received recommendations for other online courses and such, but I seek some real person interaction, and would like to stop trying to squeeze in education with a 60 hr work week. 

I know I'm preaching to the choir some here, but trying to find some options out of a rough situation.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    before going too much into detail, how good is your german?
  • jzweigii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now, non-existent. Currently living in the heart of Texas, so not a lot of reason to learn the language at the moment.  Not that I'm not wanting/willing to learn. 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    jzweigii said:
    Right now, non-existent. Currently living in the heart of Texas, so not a lot of reason to learn the language at the moment.  Not that I'm not wanting/willing to learn. 
    You will definitely need it, despite being able to communicate in many of the bigger cities here. The courses will very likely be german for the most part.

Not all education is tuition free here either, but compared to your costs in the states they are almost laughable.

That said, from all the application we get, the best we got are not from the private institutes (games academy, school for games, mdh, sae etc) but from the state schools, HTW Berlin does seem to make something right, their applications usually stick out by a fair margin.
  • jzweigii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:

Not all education is tuition free here either, but compared to your costs in the states they are almost laughable.

That said, from all the application we get, the best we got are not from the private institutes (games academy, school for games, mdh, sae etc) but from the state schools, HTW Berlin does seem to make something right, their applications usually stick out by a fair margin.
    I had read that there had been some fees added, for transportation things and the like. I'm alright with paying towards stuff like that, but yeah, the education system over here is pretty laughable when it comes to affordability, which is why I'm considering other alternatives, even if that means other countries. But I always wanted to visit Germany, so killing two birds with one stone!