Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cathedral - 3D Environment

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Rickpwnz polycounter lvl 4
Hey Polycounter´s ! It´s a while ago that I have posted something in here :/ But now I´m back with a new project and I really need the awesomeness of you all ! So I found a awesome concept from David Harrington and I really want to realize it in 3D. I don´t want to create an exact copy of it, but I really love the design. I try to realize it in a mixture of PBR and handpainted style. I want to create a really appealing little scene. My focus point in this scene is clearly the door with the skull, so I try to polish this as much as I can. But from this state I really want to get more feedback to improve this scene! I´m glad for every feedback / critic / comment.

I post also some of the earlier WIP`s :)
Concept

HP 01

HP 02

early WIP´s

and current state

Replies

• Rickpwnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Made Some progress today , I added a few flames on the candles and worked more on the stone texture and brightened up the wood texture a bit . Also added some red cloth on the skull and I want to ask you guys what you think about it ? Does it support the focus ? or is it more distracting ?
  • Rickpwnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meep Meep I´m Back ! :) I added a ground texture, but it needs a lot more work on it.

At the moment I think , that I will remove the the red cloth stuff on the skull. I really need some tips guys pls help me.

Have a nice one ! :)

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Good progress, @Rickpwnz .

As an overall thing, I think you could benefit greatly from giving everything in yout high poly a push modifier. The edges dont really catch as much light yet as they could. If you look at the roof, you arent quite getting the same depth as in the concept.
    This could be part normal map\shape (did you pant direcltly on it or bake?) but also help in the texture in the form of edge wear.

I think you can try to push the hue variations a bit more, it should give the textures a bit more life.
    If you look closely, there are many colors to break up the grey overall look. You are doing it on the roof, but perhaps it could help elsewhere as well.

Lastly, light!
    You are doing a great job of the backlighting seen here on the right. However, you say the entrance is the focal point, but it doesnt seem to be the case yet. Perhaps it would help putting a spotlight on the entrance? A rimlight on the roof?
    See if you can bathe the model in a few more strategic lights. I could help the shape pop out a bit more.

Hope some of this might help.
    Keep it up!

• Rickpwnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Spoon !
    At first I have to say ; THANK YOU ! That you took the time to write that helpful feedback. I really appreciate it! I tried to follow your tips and to realize them in my work :)
    Here is what I did :

I really need to work on this ground texture :´D I should hold it much more darker and I will try to add some gras and dirt between the stones. What do you guys think about it ?

@Spoon Your release from "champions of anteria" was great ! Me and my  team (from the games academy in berlin) had the chance to visit Blue Byte last year because we made the 2. place at the "BlueByte Newcomer Award" with the "Project: Spencer" ^^ Nice studio so far ! And nice weekly challenges ^^
  • Rickpwnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, calling this project done for now ! Thanks to everybody who stopped by and especially @spoon for your super detailed feedback ! That means a lot for me !
    Here are some of the final renderings:

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, Rick!
    Ah, the world is so small :)
    I hope you got something out of it. 
    Looking forward to seeing your future projects!