Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Straightening multiple UV poly Strips

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter
I can do this with two clicks in max by Quick Planar Mapping + Straighten Selection. However in Maya, I'm not aware of any tools that can do the second step with multiple objects selected. 

With the Nightsade UV Editor, I could select one poly strip loop, straighten it with Unfold>Straighten Loop, then select all UVs and straighten them with Unfold>Straighten Selected UVs (if I don't do the loop step first and try the two-click process from Max, I get results such as below pic)

But this way I would have to unwrap each strip one by one. Anyone know any faster way to do this in Maya?

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Do a unitize, select all edges then move and sew and then do an unfold constrained to vertical or horizontal depending on how they're oriented to get the ratio right.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @m4dcow hey Alex, thanks for replying. Did what you said, got to the unfold part. I assume you're talking about the native Unfold>using Legacy? Using it only affects one shell, plus it makes it go curvy. If I use the NSUV version, it does the job, but only on one shell.  

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Yes I did mean the legacy unfold. I'm on Maya 2016 so apparently I have a few less options, but unfold constraints work for me properly (only in the selected axis) and work on multiple shells at once.

What version of NSUV do you have? because on highend3d, the latest version (2.1.3) has fixes to do with legacy unfold.

Hotfix applied.
    -Bug: Delete UVs, Cut UVs, Split UVs, Sew UVs and Move and Sew UVs no longer fail on multi-mesh selections.
    -Bug: Legacy Unfold no longer fails on multi-mesh selections.
    -Bug: The unfolding speed of Unfold U/V -only has been fixed.
    -Bug: Pre-scaling UV's (Unfold UV's) has been fixed.
    -Bug: Legacy unfold settings now reset properly when hitting the reset button
    -Bug: Fixed a bug with the legacy Unfold UI which caused the Unfold U/V only -setting to fail.
    -Bug: UV pinning (selected/unselected) has been fixed for the legacy Optimize UV's (Relax)
    -Bug: Fixed a bug which caused the the legacy Optimize UV's (Relax) to behave in a weird way.

So try updating and see if that helps.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Ahhh that was it, thank you Alex, I needed that update. Both methods work now, thanks!