Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Can I get a feedback/critique for my work?

Here is link for my artstation.
Prepare for big, many images on first project!

It was my first try to build world level project(I know it's very small world but anyway)
I learned a lot while I working on buildings, small props and foliage, and many many texture that every objects need.

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Your assets look okay but need a bit more character, don't be afraid to leave 90 degree land, thicks and thins to add character/style. For low poly work it's too expensive for textures, your not getting the benefit of having all unique UV space (which looks like what you've got going on). I'd invest some time on something smaller and work more on putting more work into your shading and hand painted textures if your going to have unique UV's for an entire asset. If going that route you should be able to tell that the asset has fully unique textures, meaning lighting information most likely baked into the texture as well as unique details and non repeating elements since you've already spent the cost of the texture you need to be utilizing that fact. Example: Every piece of this model has unique texture UV's and it shows.

Vertex painting and using vertex Chameleon will help a ton with giving this more life. I don't understand why you have the same elements at different sizes on your texture sheets but visually the assets are almost identical. You only need to use texture space when you have unique details. TEXTURES ARE EXPENSIVE in any game I've ever worked on as well as every engine I've ever worked with. The less textures you have the better....Having a ton of unique textures - It'll effect performance and you don't want to waste anything. The more you can share across your project/assets/buildings..etc the better.

^^^ If I were to make this, I'd create a tiling wood slat sheet that has strips of wood of various sizes Large/med/small - the ends tile end to end for all the wood trim, on a detail sheet a wood end cap texture that works with the wood tile...and a roof tile texture, a brick, a detail sheet for the flags, window, and banners and misc. I'd use the vert color for the different levels of wood textures (making my texture light wood so I can push darker with vertex color). 

There is a TON of waste on that texture sheet, I think your approach on creating these types of assets is wrong.

Have a look at this asset. It uses the process I'm talking about...there is a lot of repeating texture...look at the wood texture on the hull of the ship, he used the same texture on the cannon flaps (it's not unique to the sheet) but using the UV's to get those details. Barrels made from the same wood. 
  • fishcupcake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pixelpatron
    Thank you for so many great advice that I need.
    Yes I agree.. I should use less number texture. I will improve that for my next project.
    I think I did that because I had some difficulty with UV wrapping. I need more practice for that.
    And thanks for good examples! Those looks so great, and show me the exact point that you are talking about.