Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyberspace dreamer

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
NOlhovskis polycounter lvl 4
I've been working on this project in my free time for the past month or two. I mostly do prop/environment stuff for work, so it's just something that I wanted to do to improve my character modelling skills and get more familiar with Zbrush.
It's actually a second iteration of the model - the first file got corrupted. But still, I've learned a lot, and applied this knowledge to the model you can see below.
The inspirations for this should be fairly obvious to anyone who is even remotely into sci-fi. This work is not original in any way. I've made a mood board with some quick sketches for easy references.
The workflow - I sculpted a base mesh with the general shape that I liked, and then made lowpoly topology on top of it. I made sure that the panels that the body is divided into can be easily detached from one another. Then the low poly was cleaned up in 3ds Max, with a lot of changes along the way. At the current stage the model is purely a lowpoly subdivided in Zbrush with dynamic subd for ease of editing.
The panels are set up to open and close with minimal clipping, as I want to make a simple animation for the purposes of presentation.

So, next I plan to do the following:
1. While it's still just a subdivided lowpoly, see if I can change something, maybe add some details somewhere.
2. When I'm sure that panels are working out fine, subdivide and dynamesh (probably, if it will not screw up some parts) the model to get nice smooth edges, and then spend some time sculpting. As you can see on the screenshots, some surfaces have bumps and generally uneven surface. And I definitely want to do some sculpting work on the face and ears, as I need those to look like the most organic and "human" part of the body. At the moment it's just a mess of subdivided polygons.
3. Probably work on the lowpoly and basic texturing.
4. Make a simple environment to place this character in. What I have in mind is some sort of round virtual reality room with a thing to attach to with a lot of wires. I want to make the character look like it's sleeping in weightlessness surrounded by a space vista. Hence the "dreamer" part of the project name.
5. Finalize texturing, make a simple rig, etc. Place all of this in Marmoset or something for presentation.

I was thinking about adding hair to her, but I have no idea what the best solution would be, because I also want the head panels to be animated. So far the best solution I can come up with is some sort of solid strands rigged to chains of bones so that they can be moved when posing the model. Can anyone push me in the right direction?

As this is just a personal project where the main goal is to learn and improve, any advice and critique is very welcome.