Home Career & Education

Question about putting fan art in your portfolio

AndrewN
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AndrewN polycounter lvl 5
I'm putting together my reel and I was wondering if it's a good idea or not to put a 3D model I did of a ship from a show. During my class over the fall, I did a 3D model of the Planet Express ship from Futurama and was quite happy with how it came out. 

Is it bad for me to put this into my reel to send for internships? If I did put it in, how would I go about labeling it?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    It's fine, everybody loves Futurama. I'd be more concerned about the banding in your images.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    yea fanart is fine in your folio as long as you label it as so.  You don't want to imply that you made the original for the show in any way.  I would maybe work on the texture though...possibly give it some subtle wear to break up the surface a bit.
  • AndrewN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewN polycounter lvl 5
    slosh said:
    yea fanart is fine in your folio as long as you label it as so.  You don't want to imply that you made the original for the show in any way.  I would maybe work on the texture though...possibly give it some subtle wear to break up the surface a bit.
    Is labeling it as "Planet Express Ship Fan Art" okay or should I go with something else? Mine is missing the Planet Express logo so I'm wondering how I would best go about labeling this within my reel.