Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tin Robot Toy

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ftsmith polycounter lvl 6
A project Iv'e been working on in the last couple of weeks. It is a "old style" wind up tin robot. The modeling was done in Maya and the texturing was done in both Photoshop and Substance Painter. I don't know if I should leave it as is or go back and add some "dirtiness" to it. Let me know how it looks and any feedback is greatly appreciated and needed (especially with lighting and presentation).

Reference

Replies

• ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to go back and add more details. I added a lot of damage and dirt, but I think I added too much. Let me know how it looks and any feedback is appreciated.

• BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great! I think you're right about the dirt, a little too much.
    You might want to think about where the dirt and scratches might be a little more logically, the edges around the base of the head are unlikely to be scratched, and anything that scratches off the paint of the eye would probably damage the paint under it as well, for example. I would be nice to see some of the warped metal in the reference too.
    Also, the eye protrusions looks like they should be more round than what you've made them.
    Great work, looking forward to the updates!
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help BerseK. I toned down the dirt and scratches added them where they might build up. I also made the three layers more distinct: Stickers -> The Paint/Blank Sticker -> Metal. I also attempted to make the warped metal but it may have come out weird. Just wanted to post something to see if I'm going in the right direction.