Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Want to improve my lineart

MyLittleWeirdFriend
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
MyLittleWeirdFriend polycounter lvl 5
Hello, i have been in an art block for about 2 years now, trying to get myself to draw daily to improve. but i cant hold that for more then a week... my problem lies mostly in that i lack the basics in lineart. i have copied drawings for years now and i feel as if i should be able to do my own things by now. 
i am quite good at the values and coloring (for my level anyways) but with the lineart being shit it never becomes good anyways.
how did you learn how to make your lineart ? is there any exercises you can recomend ? 

Replies

• Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Post some of your stuff and some of the artist you look up to and I might be able to give you some pointers on how to boost your linework up.  
  • MyLittleWeirdFriend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some of my pieces, the second one is copied from a magic the gathering card and the first and last one is recent drawings, the other two drawings is about a year old. as you see i am quite lazy with some details and so on but right now i am focusing on trying to learn the line art parts more. since i cant grasp at all how to improve at that, i go the basics in shading and values and i know how to expand further onto that. 
  • xiaohan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, do you usually start with line art when drawing? If you are more confident in your value and form, perhaps starting out by blocking those out and then using those to help guide your line art might be a way to help you out. If you take public transport, keeping a small sketchbook around and looking for good opportunities to quickly sketch some interesting poses is always a great way to quickly improve.
    Keep up the good work!
  • EJBranagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EJBranagan null
    Hello! First of all I'd like to say that you have some great ideas with your artwork.
    I'd recommend for the time being putting colour and detail to the side and focusing on your line art. Your lines are very light and very sketchy - try using long, flowing lines. If you have unsteady hands I'd recommend using Paint Tool Sai to begin, as it has a line stabilizer. This can help with your transition to Photoshop later on.
    One thing that really helped me was to study other people's work and look at tons of tutorials on different approaches to line art, until I found one that worked for me.

I've attached some tutorials, I hope these help!
    http://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-explains-Line-Dynamics-411098876
    http://ivraie.deviantart.com/art/Photoshop-Line-Art-Tutorial-159218213
  • MyLittleWeirdFriend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice @EJBranagan and @xiaohan
    yes i do start with the line art and i feel more comfortable with that, i have tried to start with just doing the values and so on but without my weird and quite bad lineart i dont get far their either :D i usually do take public transport and i have tried that altough i found that whenever i take the sketchbook i feel as if everyone is watching and i start feeling ashamed.. bad habit i know. 

i will look into those tutorials thank you ! :D 
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    The quality of your lineart depends on how much cleanup you do. The strongest way to cleanup a digital sketch is to digital-ink it (putting the sketch on a locked layer, lowering the opacity and then tracing it with a dynamic brush).

But before you worry about lineart you should really practise more your fundamentals. That last picture with the woman in a purple blouse, her arms have different sizes (starting at the shoulder region, one shoulder is bigger than the other). The human form is symmetrical.
    There's a few things you can do to get better:

- Rely on lots of reference.
    - Make use of construction drawing (it's a keyword, you can find other material on this).
    - Work with pencil and paper since it's faster.

If you're serious about drawing then you should take an art class. It's going to help you much better than online stuff since you'll have a tutor watching what you're making and giving you pointers.