Home Technical Talk

Edge control - Are there some kind of formula or specific rules?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
Well, I started out with Modo and now I am barely scratching Maya. 

I was wondering if there is some kind of specific rule when adding control edges in sub D modeling. I kept hearing that every modeling project is unique. Well, I wonder if that's just an opinion. 

On pinterest, there are some charts that explains how to add edges in sub D modeling. I've seen them, and I bet many of you guys saw them. But I have no idea how to implement those rules into actual modeling, being a newcomer and all.

Or, is sub D modeling actually reserved for intermediate level students? I don't know. Places like Pluralsight encourage the beginners to start straight with sub D modeling, and I wonder if that is pretty much universal throughout the CG education field. 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Software/ workflow questions go in Technical Talk instead of General Discussion. I'll move it there for you.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best way to learn about sub-d is to do it. Pick a shape and model it. Look at learning material, but also actually make things. And share your progress for critique. 

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Subdivision_Surface_Modeling
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    When I first started Sub-D modeling I just jumped right into it. I didn't really wait on any skill level, because Sub-D is important to creating the high poly mesh.

I mostly see it as an extension of regular modeling. I.e, maintain a good topology and distribute your polygons efficiently. 

For some rules, I recall you do need to take edges more seriously for animation. Where character's bodies move or deform, how you place your edges is important so it animates efficiently. 

For non characters objects, I try not to place too many edges close to each other. That's because when it subdivides, it makes certain areas of a mesh look tighter than it needs to be. This can be very problematic for baking out normal maps.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    This site is gold for beginners learning the complex topic of sub-D:

http://probiner.x10.mx/forum/showthread.php?tid=4

It's a salvage thread of a lot of the posts on the dead and dearly missed site subdivisionmodeling.com

It goes over everything you need to know to understand the rules/guidelines/recommendations/practices of sub-D modeling.

I advise you to just dive in with simple primitive geometry and put what you see there to practice. It goes over everything: from the almighty E and N poles, and why they are essential to sub-D, to how to move poles across spans, re-route edgeflow, and everything in between.

• ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    This site is gold for beginners learning the complex topic of sub-D:

http://probiner.x10.mx/forum/showthread.php?tid=4

It's a salvage thread of a lot of the posts on the dead and dearly missed site subdivisionmodeling.com

It goes over everything you need to know to understand the rules/guidelines/recommendations/practices of sub-D modeling.

I advise you to just dive in with simple primitive geometry and put what you see there to practice. It goes over everything: from the almighty E and N poles, and why they are essential to sub-D, to how to move poles across spans, re-route edgeflow, and everything in between.

Wow, I am really swamped with all the information from the link. It will take a while to digest all the stuff. Thank you very much. I will definitely study the hell out of it. :)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, it is a complex topic. But studying and experimenting practical examples will greatly reduce the learning curve. Good luck. :)