Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Double Feature for Critique, 02/06/17

GavinButler33
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
GavinButler33 polycounter lvl 2
This is the first time I have posted anything on here. Learned about the critique forum just recently, so I actually have two animations to submit. The can both be found at https://syncsketch.com/pro/#project/1260/reviewsTab. References are listed for each project in the annotations section. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance, and let me know if the link works!

Edit: Thanks slipsius! I was afraid the link would be broken. No way for me to check if anyone else could see it because if I signed out I could not access anything in the site. Anyone know how to fix this problem in SyncSketch? In the meantime, here are my animations: https://youtu.be/7-vvWTkCdUk and https://youtu.be/1Zwivb2O948

Replies

• slipsius
  • GavinButler33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much! I edited my post to include some good, old fashioned YouTube links. I know these will work without a doubt.
  • Sonny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonny polycounter lvl 9
    You should have gotten an email stating that your video is up on syncsketch with a link to it. 

If you don't mind I'd like to comment on your second animation. 

Overall it's looking pretty good, however I think you should look into a different camera angle for a better composition. As for the animation itself, right now it's looking like Maya is doing most of the inbetweens for you and it's causing a few problems. In the beginning I would hold the anticipation (as she is getting ready to hit the little guy) for a little bit longer to sell the weight of the attack. Remember it needs to read that it's strong enough to knock the little guy out, and currently it just looks like they're both practicing a fight scene. Next on the list is when the little guy is falling down. As it stands the female's head and eyes are following him as he's falling down. If this hit is supposed to be strong enough to knock him out, he should be falling down quicker and she shouldn't be following him as he's in the process of falling down. You could have her hit him and wait a few frames before she starts to follow him falling down. 

I like that she pauses and and looks around to see if there was anyone there to see her commit the act, I think that's a great touch that adds character to the animation. But right after this happens she goes to pull the leg and drag his body away but it just stops (kind of like you ran out of time). Some thing you may also want to look into, is maybe instead of having her attempt to pull the body she instead decides to run away from the crime. I think both endings work, but only work if you follow through with animating the rest of the action. For instance if she's going to pull the body then maybe you could pull for longer and maybe add some simple geometry that she can pull the body behind, instead of having her reach for the leg and tug on it for 7 frames. 

Hope this helps. :)
  • GavinButler33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sonny,

Thanks for the critique :smiley: ) ! I did get an e-mail from Sketchfab. I think the permissions must be screwy for some odd reason. Anyhow, I will get to work on the knockout as soon as possible. Working on several projects for my reel though, so it may take a while to get to. Looks like it might take a week or two to fix, so I am focusing more on my other projects up until my Feb 28th deadline for my application. Will keep everyone posted, and thanks again!